Harman P43 pellet goes through pellets fast..WHY?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
A question I've been meaning to ask for some time.....

I have a P43 that I bought used and have run it for the last 2 winters and running it now too.
For some reason it has always gone through a lot of pellets. It eats them down like crazy.

I have owned an Accentra since 2006 and that isn't nearly as much as a pellet gobbler.

The feed rate is set to 3 on the P43 and it is vented with 5 feet of vertical pellet stove pipe that goes into a lined masonry chimney which adds another 10 feet to the venting height.

When I got the stove the feed rate was set to 1 by the previous owners. I think they did this because it ate pellets too and that's why they sold the stove...because it wasn't cost effective for them to run in a large drafty house.

I have lived with the pellet gobbler P43 because I use it intermittently, so the impact of pellet consumption isn't as great.

Any clues to why this P43 eats pellets like mad?

Too little information. Suggest you look at and join or get info from contemporaneous thread "Harman P48+ Eating Pellets at an Alarming Rate." You may have answered your own question - "Large, drafty house."

A question I've been meaning to ask for some time.....

I have a P43 that I bought used and have run it for the last 2 winters and running it now too.
For some reason it has always gone through a lot of pellets. It eats them down like crazy.

I have owned an Accentra since 2006 and that isn't nearly as much as a pellet gobbler.

The feed rate is set to 3 on the P43 and it is vented with 5 feet of vertical pellet stove pipe that goes into a lined masonry chimney which adds another 10 feet to the venting height.

When I got the stove the feed rate was set to 1 by the previous owners. I think they did this because it ate pellets too and that's why they sold the stove...because it wasn't cost effective for them to run in a large drafty house.

I have lived with the pellet gobbler P43 because I use it intermittently, so the impact of pellet consumption isn't as great.

Any clues to why this P43 eats pellets like mad?

Two factors play here ....

1/ The P43 is rated to 43,000 BTU --- this will chew pellets on higher settings.

2/ The size of the pellets -- short / small pellets -- the stove will feed in more lbs per hour on any setting over longer / bigger pellets.

There are more factors, and I am sure you know these based on your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.