Harman p38 distribution blower ball bearings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
On the distribution blower, I don't think so, the exhaust combustion blower I have on my Harman.. Maybe someone else can reply..

I don’t think so, never heard of anyone replacing them either. Combustion motor yes

It can be done. When I bought and overhauled my P43 this summer, I replaced both motors just to start fresh and keep the originals as spares. I think the room blower is the same on my P43 as you P38. Anyway, it's not an open frame motor, but I took it apart, cleaned it all up, ordered bearings and replaced them so I'd have a good spare. I haven't used it in the stove yet, but it's the complete unit with the whole housing and squirrel gage fan and I did bench run it for quite a while to test. It ran nice and smooth.
It was a Fasco motor and the bearings were not the standard 608. they were 608-ZZP-3123-C3. The regular 608 were a little loose on the shaft and the 3123 has a slightly smaller opening. Yours may be different though.

Ray

Interesting. I thought those motors were spot welded together.

I replaced mine when it was installed the dealer that installed the stove didn't like the little bit of noise the distribution blower made at full throttle. They were going to come back and swap it out, I told them I would just pick one up and do it. I don't remember what I did with the old one. I will have to look around for it and experiment, if I can find it.

It can be done. When I bought and overhauled my P43 this summer, I replaced both motors just to start fresh and keep the originals as spares. I think the room blower is the same on my P43 as you P38. Anyway, it's not an open frame motor, but I took it apart, cleaned it all up, ordered bearings and replaced them so I'd have a good spare. I haven't used it in the stove yet, but it's the complete unit with the whole housing and squirrel gage fan and I did bench run it for quite a while to test. It ran nice and smooth.
It was a Fasco motor and the bearings were not the standard 608. they were 608-ZZP-3123-C3. The regular 608 were a little loose on the shaft and the 3123 has a slightly smaller opening. Yours may be different though.
So the room blower uses the same bearing as the combustion blower ? I've replaced my combustion blower bearings with the 608- ZZ-3123's.. looked at the room blower and seeing it was sealed didn't think it was repairable..

So the room blower uses the same bearing as the combustion blower ? I've replaced my combustion blower bearings with the 608- ZZ-3123's.. looked at the room blower and seeing it was sealed didn't think it was repairable..
Mine did. I have a picture I took of the armature after I removed the clips holding the motor can together and disassembled it so I'd remember how to put it back together. Here's the photo....You can see the one bearing and the other is just in a rubber mount at the base of the motor can. The clips that hold the motor can together are also visible in the photo, along with the squirrel cage fan.
IMG_0319.JPG

Last edited: