Harman P35i Temp Sensor ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

P35i-newhampshire

Nov 13, 2018
New Hampshire
Good Evening!

I had a new Harman P35i pellet stove insert installed about 2 weeks ago. It works great! My only issue / concern is the temperature probe & how it reads room temp.

As an example, I set the unit to run base on temp and set to about 68 mark. Temp probe is 2 feet 2 left of unit and about 4 feet off the floor. As the house was at 72, the unit shutdown as it should.

This morning I got up and my house (1 story ranch) was at 64 degrees. I placed a thermometer 2 feet below the temp probe and 2 feed above the probe. Those also read 64 degrees.

I slowly turned the temp setting up and when I hit the 70 mark, the unit turned on. 3 digital thermometers all read 64, yet that magic 70 turned unit on. Could the probe be 6 degrees off?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

On the Harmans you just have to play with temp. The way air moves around with convection it makes it tough to get true temp. Each room is different. Set it and watch for a day or 2 then adjust until it has the room at the temp you like. It is more of a reference in my opinion.

That dial really is just a reference point. I run mine at 70, and my main room runs about 75-78 with a digital thermometer.

That temp probe really depends on what's around it for a good reading. if its close to the floor it reads cool. I run my down at the bottom of the stove, where its reading the return air. Just put it where you like it, and then use the temp dial to get your house where you want it. if that says 60 on the dial or 80 on the dial.

As others have said, that dial is a reference only. Find the place that produces the temperature that you like and leave it there. I use an actual thermostat for my main floor stove (located in another room), but use the temp probe for my basement stove. I can definitely see that the probe reads lower than ambient temp as a thermometer 20 feet away, and behind a wall shows 72* so undoubtedly (and by feel as I approach that area) the area beside the probe is warmer than that, but I have the stove dial set at 72*.

I actually just calibrated my Room Sensing probe on my Harman in the basement. I hook diag tool up to stove so I could see what temp it was seeing. Stat on wall around the corner said 68 and probe by stove said 74. I moved probe around and watched it over a couple hrs and found that taped to the back of the couch cushion (blocked from radiant heat of stove ) calibrated it to the actual room temp. End of probe not in contact w/ cushion or couch but insulated from radiant heat of stove seems to be the key. Try it on yours.

Reactions: bogieb