Harman Auto Ignite Control board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nitro-Fish

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2009
VA
I recently purchased a P68 and have come across an issue I've never experienced before; the stove will not cycle in the test mode, no lights (except power), no nothing! I used the test mode when I purchased the stove & everything worked as it should, but after a thorough cleaning, it no longer works in test mode (I checked the wiring & all seems good, but nothing happens in test mode). Now to add insult to injury, I put the stove through the normal start-up in auto mode and everything still works as it should in auto mode; igniter, combustion fan, distribution fan, burned for at least 45 minutes before I shut it down, it has me stumped. I'm sure open to ideas on this one.

It could also be a diod on the low voltage side. Caps turn into resistors when they start to go bad so that could be a good logical starting point.

Reactions: jackman and rickwai
All good thoughts from the above posters. If it's working in auto mode I'd just continue to run it and try to get thru the winter. Then troubleshoot further in the off season.

Reactions: Ssyko
Jackman, its not in use yet, I purchased it because of the deal I got on it, may use it next year in place of one of my 61's, but if not it may go to my daughters house, or be up for re-sale; I was really looking for a P38 for her, but I couldn't pass up the P68.

Jackman, its not in use yet, I purchased it because of the deal I got on it, may use it next year in place of one of my 61's, but if not it may go to my daughters house, or be up for re-sale; I was really looking for a P38 for her, but I couldn't pass up the P68.
I would suggest looking for a P43 for her. (A P38 w/ auto ignition). Much easier to use:)

Yes, a P43 would be nice, but you never see them for sale used in my area. I would convert a P38 to auto anyway if I find one. I have all the parts to do my non auto P61 now, just waiting till the season is over. If I can't find a P38 reasonable, I'll probably just let her have the auto P61A (not the oldest P61 that I'm going to convert; I'll keep it, its brown & matches the room, plus I would want to make sure its trouble free after conversion), but my guess is the P68 will stay with me if I can't find a reasonable P38 at the end of the season.

You are right on not many for sale. I had 2 buddys find used ones that ran. went about 5 hrs away but got one for $900 and the other found one locally for $1100. They both stole them in my opinion!

Also Facebook Marketplace seems like the place to find them. I just discovered it after those guys finding the stoves.

UPDATE: Apparently I managed to get some dirt in the feed rate/test pot when cleaning the area with compressed air, messed with it today & all is good now, thanks for the responses.