Harman Advance repair small hole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ral66

Hearth Supporter
Mar 20, 2010
Western MA
I have a Harman Advance, 13 years old, that has a small hole between the auger shaft and burnpot. Is there any way to patch the hole ?
Guy at the pellet stove store says I have to buy a rebuild kit for $650, and another $650 for them to rebuild it. There is also a charge for them to bring the stove the shop
Harman Advance repair small hole

From this angle that looks like the feeder weldment and the whole thing has to be replaced from the back... 650 is pretty steep for parts but that’s retail and probably many new parts and a dealer is going to do a full rebuild to prevent callback on a bad motor down the road etc , just a weldment could be had for 2-275 depending on serial number. The. You have gaskets etc to also buy with that. While you are in there an igniter isn’t a bad idea either. It’s definitely a bit of a job labor wise.

I had the same problem on my Accentra insert. I successfully patched it with an automotive muffler repair cement. I think it’s called Spider Patch. It comes in a squeeze tube that comes out as a thick paste that I forced into the crack with my finger. That was 3 or 4 years ago and it’s still holding. Simple, fast and cheap ($10?).

Here’s a picture of the product I used.Harman Advance repair small hole

Reactions: Washed-Up
High temp patch sounds like a winner. I'd plug those bottom 5 firepot holes too. They definitely add more heat near auger which leads to erosion of auger tip and fire burning near auger tube. Also make sure your auger is all there and not shortened by erosion leading to fire in tube area.

Wow, this sounds like something I'll wish I remember years (?) in the future if/when I need a similar repair.

OP, was there some operational difference that led you to notice the small hole?

I successfully patched it with an automotive muffler repair cement. I think it’s called Spider Patch. It comes in a squeeze tube that comes out as a thick paste that I forced into the crack with my finger. That was 3 or 4 years ago and it’s still holding. Simple, fast and cheap ($10?).