Harman Advance blower run's sporadically

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nasabuzi

Nov 16, 2014
Levittown, NY
Turned on my 8-9 year old Harman Advance stove and it was working great the first few hours but then I noticed the blower that pushes heat into the room has been going on and off sporadically. In the past this seemed to always be running regardless and the settings haven't been changed from previous times using it. Is the fan or possibly another part going that might be causing this?

Classic symptoms of the blower motor overheating. When was the last time you took the motor out and blew out the windings? Dust gets in there, and inhibits cooling airflow, and the motor overheats. When it cools, it starts up again. There is an internal thermal switch in the motor that protects the motor from overheating damage.

This blowing out the windings is an often overlooked step of cleaning maintenance.

Classic symptoms of the blower motor overheating. When was the last time you took the motor out and blew out the windings? Dust gets in there, and inhibits cooling airflow, and the motor overheats. When it cools, it starts up again. There is an internal thermal switch in the motor that protects the motor from overheating damage.

This blowing out the windings is an often overlooked step of cleaning maintenance.
I don't think the blower has ever been removed and cleaned before, don't think I ever saw that as one of the cleaning steps but now I will add it to future cleaning. Any easy or best way of removing the blower motor for cleaning? Thank you for the help.

I'm not familiar with your stove, so have no advice on removing the motor. Someone is sure to come along to help with that.

I have never seen, or heard of, any cleaning instructions mentioning blowing out the motor windings. I bought my stove used, and during my first spring cleaning, blew out the motors because of my industrial maintenance background. I was amazed at the amount of dust that came out of the motors!

A fellow employee complained to me that his blower motor cycled on and off, like yours. He brought it into work, and after I blew out the windings, the motor ran as it should. He was happy, as that was his only heat in the house.

I have found that, for my situation, that blowing out the motors every other year is sufficient. YMMV, especially if you have pets, or a dusty environment. Experience will show you how often you need to do this.

Good to know that I don't seem to be the only one who could miss cleaning this area out. I will peak at the stove tomorrow, thanks again for your help.

Good to know that I don't seem to be the only one who could miss cleaning this area out. I will peak at the stove tomorrow, thanks again for your help.

You're welcome, and welcome to the forum.