Hardwood to Softwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thepaulmc

Jan 2, 2012
Pocono Mountains, PA
I have been burning hardwood pellets so far this year in my Harman P43, I just ordered 4 tons of softwood pellets... What kind of adjustments to you recomend? Feed rate up, down??

both of my older harman pellet stoves p38 and pellet pro never seemed to care which brand or hard or soft wood pellets they have just always worked with no issues I never changed anything between pellet changes just dump the bag in and forget about it

Reactions: MewZiKat and DAKSY
Last year I switched from hardwood to softwood and was able to increase my feed rate. I have a HF60 pellet boiler and I need a fast response to the water temperature. For a stove you probably wouldn't notice as much because air is much faster to heat than water. I would set it for the max feed rate that you are able to run and still not have unburnt or partially burnt pellets in the ash pan. I actually think in the Harman manual it says you can run a higher feed rate for premium softwood pellets.

There really isn't a huge difference between hardwood and softwood in pellet form. In regular cord wood form, softwood is less dense but when being compressed into pellets, both end up being around the same density due to the force of the pellet mill machinery. A 40 lb bag of pellets is roughly the same volume regardless of wood type.

Reactions: bags