Hardwiring my wood stove blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangoonboth

Nov 19, 2019
Michigan
I just installed my new stove this fall and I want to run power to the blower motor. My wife and I don't like the cord running from the stove to a wall outlet. I've done a lot of wiring but I'm not sure about this. Can I put a junction box under the floor (under the stove) in my basement and run BX cable through the floor and hearth into the fan housing beging the stove. Has anyone ever done this? Thanks Hardwiring my wood stove blower

Not 100% sure but you most likely need a shut off within 10’. This could be a light switch or toggle switch. I don’t see anything wrong with changing the cord unless it violates a UL listing or something which I doubt.

Can you fish an electrical wire up inside the wall directly behind the stove? My BK cord is less than a foot long, comes straight out of the fan and plugs into the outlet.

I just installed my new stove this fall and I want to run power to the blower motor. My wife and I don't like the cord running from the stove to a wall outlet. I've done a lot of wiring but I'm not sure about this. Can I put a junction box under the floor (under the stove) in my basement and run BX cable through the floor and hearth into the fan housing beging the stove. Has anyone ever done this? ThanksView attachment 259602
You are not allowed to hardwire it

Can you explain why not?
Code doesn't allow you to cut the plug off a ul listed appliance and use it. Code also requires a disconnect in the room the appliance is in.

There are a few stoves designed to be hard wired. And that is fine but you can't hardwire one designed to plug in