Hard work pays off just takes awhile to reap its rewards.

ohlongarm Posted By ohlongarm, Jan 12, 2019 at 9:37 AM

1. ohlongarm

ohlongarm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 18, 2011
    Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Three years ago, I split a tremendous pile of red oak,100 tons to be exact the wood was split between myself and a friend.
    The pile shown here about 100 feet long and about 30 feet wide and averaged about 4 feet tall.
    Rounds were huge too huge actually,however burning red oak at the three year mark is incredible,long steady burns i've got about 5 seasons yet stored.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PA. Woodsman and D8Chumley like this.
  2. ohlongarm

ohlongarm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 18, 2011
    Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    rounds oak.jpg rounds oak.jpg

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PA. Woodsman and MissMac like this.
  3. Todd67

Todd67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 25, 2012
    Loc:
    Northern NY
    Nice pile of firewood. I hope none of it rots before you can burn it.

By the way, you started this thread 3 different times. You might want to delete the other two.

D8Chumley likes this.
  4. ohlongarm

ohlongarm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 18, 2011
    Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Tried to delete the other ,won't let me,most wood is on concrete with a metal roof covering all of it including sides ,the stuff just keeps getting harder.

Todd67 likes this.
  5. Jags

Jags
    Moderate Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Northern IL
    Duplicates removed.
    Nice pile of stove chow.

PA. Woodsman and Todd67 like this.
  6. Todd67

Todd67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 25, 2012
    Loc:
    Northern NY
    I don't know how long oak lasts. It looks dry in the pictures. I don't see any oak firewood around here. I've only ordered about 5 or 6 cords of wood in 7 years, and they seem to deliver mostly soft wood, with some occasional maple and ash. I usually burn whatever I can get from my small property and what I can get from the neighbors who don't burn wood.

Sometimes my phone will post something twice. I can't delete the unwanted post, so I just delete the words and type "duplicate post" if the forum allows me to. I hate when that happens because it's never anyone's intention to have duplicate posts. It only happens to me if I use my cell phone to post something, but not very often. It has never happened to me when I use my laptop.

7. ohlongarm

ohlongarm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 18, 2011
    Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    THX,no delete button showed up on my screen.
    This red oak at three years burns insanely long in the BK,burns down to a fine ash with little coals left after 15 hours.

D8Chumley, darktower007 and Todd67 like this.
  8. Jags

Jags
    Moderate Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Northern IL
    Mod types have special buttons.;)

D8Chumley and Todd67 like this.
  9. darktower007

darktower007
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 16, 2018
    Loc:
    Chattanooga
    Man I love some oak! But it’s like wine... takes many years to be just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA. Woodsman likes this.