Hard water stains on a Jotul with enamel finish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Any luck removing them? I have no experience with Jotuls or Jotul's enamel finishes.

Try some white vinegar. You probably have some in the fridge. It shouldn't harm the finish, but try a test spot first to make sure.

Have you tried a little vinegar with some very fine steel wool?

Thank you for the replies. I have not tried anything yet. I have my eye on a Firelight with hard water stains where the owner had a kettle placed on it. Trying to figure out is it is permanent or if it will clean up. If it cleans up, I am wondering how well it will clean up.

One stove shop posts to soak the area with vinegar, then sprinkle some baking soda on it. When it stops fizzing, scrub out the stain.

BeGreen said:
One stove shop posts to soak the area with vinegar, then sprinkle some baking soda on it. When it stops fizzing, scrub out the stain.

And the enamel should hold up?

Looks like a pit crew is coming through your home changing stoves like tires!

Firelight is a nice stove. We looked at them in a dealer store, too big for my application. We did however pick up an oslo..is in wonderful shape other than gaskets, and glass i cant get "clear". We just finshed tearing down and freshing up with stove bright matte black. Going to get new ropes this week. Ill have to ask how much a piece of that cermic glass is. Not bad just annoying. Doubt youd notice with a fire going though...hmm game time decison.

Hard water cleans up with CLR. Its good on all sorts of softer materials like glass, tile, chrome. Id still dilute it first. Enamel is a hard material, brittle but unsure on discoloration. What color is it? Id be more worried with a dark color than say an ivory.

Good luck.

If the staining is light, the vinegar itself may be enough. Dampen a sponge with vinegar and let it sit on it for a little bit. Majolica enamel is porcelain. It is quite tough and baking soda is a mild abrasive. But as noted earlier, do a spot test first.

Try CLR and porcelain is really tough and should hold up to just about anything other than abrasives..

Ray

Stump_Branch said:
Looks like a pit crew is coming through your home changing stoves like tires!

Firelight is a nice stove. We looked at them in a dealer store, too big for my application. We did however pick up an oslo..is in wonderful shape other than gaskets, and glass i cant get "clear". We just finshed tearing down and freshing up with stove bright matte black. Going to get new ropes this week. Ill have to ask how much a piece of that cermic glass is. Not bad just annoying. Doubt youd notice with a fire going though...hmm game time decison.

Hard water cleans up with CLR. Its good on all sorts of softer materials like glass, tile, chrome. Id still dilute it first. Enamel is a hard material, brittle but unsure on discoloration. What color is it? Id be more worried with a dark color than say an ivory.

Good luck.

Did you get the Oslo in Jersey for $650? I thought that was a hell of a deal.

Yeah, I'm sure it seems ridiculous that I am buying stoves all the time. If I would have bought new, my costs for stoves would have been about $7500 - $9000 for three stove new. I'm at $2150 with the last purchase. I would rather buy used and realize the mistake, than buy new and realize the stove isn't meeting my needs.

Now I am quite certain what I need and if I don't find it used by fall of 2012 I will buy my first new stove (Defiant, Firelight, Mansfield, Isle Royal, England 30).

The new Woodstock would make the list, but I am concerned about the width combined with the side load only for the walk-in fireplace. The other location doesn't allow for the large clearances needed for a Woodstock.

I did, we had called the guy just before you sent me those links. It was between a vc defiant, might have been quite a squeeze. The oslo, or a heratige.

Guy took care of it, hadnt used it in two years. What a nice area, amazing place really. Rather fresh other than the glass. Has a flim or spray of something, has left a haze near the bottom. Ill try and clean more throughly, but i guess i could replace if it bothers me, the wife, that much.

Anyone know a average cost of a new glass?

Stump_Branch said:
I did, we had called the guy just before you sent me those links. It was between a vc defiant, might have been quite a squeeze. The oslo, or a heratige.

Guy took care of it, hadnt used it in two years. What a nice area, amazing place really. Rather fresh other than the glass. Has a flim or spray of something, has left a haze near the bottom. Ill try and clean more throughly, but i guess i could replace if it bothers me, the wife, that much.

Anyone know a average cost of a new glass?

Good to hear it worked out! Have you tried the damp paper towel with some ash on it?

No not yet. Still in the back of the truck at the parents house, as they have a garage in cas rain ever comes... they have a coal stove, not much usable ash. I tried some stove glass cleaner they had, but no luck. I disassembled, painted parts outside, then lined the truck with paper taped it off and went to work. Wasnt bad but i figured now was the time. Lools brand new again. Ill have to bring ash down or glass up to try.

On your issue im thinking hard water is due to lime in the water. Thats why i said clr. But wifes telling me, we get water marks on our glass top range, when hot it stains, hard to clean. She has a stove cleaner that takes it off, could try that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.