Hampton HI300 Stuck Air Adjustment Rod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Man, I am bummed.

I have a nice fire going and pushed the air adjustment rod all the way in.
It's stuck there now...can't be pulled out!
With the way it's constructed, I'm pretty sure it won't be easy to free up.
I'd probably need some surgical endoscope tools, lol.

Has anybody else had this problem, and what did you do about it.

This sucks.

Thanks.

Whew. I jiggled it a bunch and it came loose. That's a relief.
I'll be closing it very slowly from now on, and not slamming it shut.

That intake mechanism is enclosed in a welded box, as I recall.

I'm glad it loosened up and am wondering if some rusting is occurring in the air control. It might be good to spray some silicone into the air control mechanism. Can better access be gained by removing the bottom facia panels?

Man, I am bummed.

I have a nice fire going and pushed the air adjustment rod all the way in.
It's stuck there now...can't be pulled out!
With the way it's constructed, I'm pretty sure it won't be easy to free up.
I'd probably need some surgical endoscope tools, lol.

Has anybody else had this problem, and what did you do about it.

This sucks.

Thanks.
Hey, I'm from Troy, now I'm in New Zealand!
Anyway, here's a tip, my baffle was on the end of a rod and the baffle plate simply slid in a metal channel. That channel would fill with carbon and after awhile of sliding the carbon would pack tight and the baffle would not go all the way in and would stick hard when pushed in. The best repair as per the service dept, push it in hard then take a claw hammer (or the likes of) and pry the rod back out. Repeat the process several times then use a rubber mallet and lightly pound in the rod and again pry out a few times. After about 10 times the channel is clear and the baffle slides freely and your fire works much better.

Hey, I'm from Troy, now I'm in New Zealand!
Anyway, here's a tip, my baffle was on the end of a rod and the baffle plate simply slid in a metal channel. That channel would fill with carbon and after awhile of sliding the carbon would pack tight and the baffle would not go all the way in and would stick hard when pushed in. The best repair as per the service dept, push it in hard then take a claw hammer (or the likes of) and pry the rod back out. Repeat the process several times then use a rubber mallet and lightly pound in the rod and again pry out a few times. After about 10 times the channel is clear and the baffle slides freely and your fire works much better.
Normally the air control doesn't see carbon, but some will get ash sucked in there.

Was this with your stove's air control? What stove was this on?

Now I'm guessing you have a log burner, I have a pellet fire, and it was the air control so I would guess whatever is causing the build up, the fix would be the same. sorry for the mix up.

Now I'm guessing you have a log burner, I have a pellet fire, and it was the air control so I would guess whatever is causing the build up, the fix would be the same. sorry for the mix up.
No problem. The main forum and its subs are for wood burners. The Pellet Forum is here:

And welcome!