Hampton HI300--how bad is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MetMan

Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2010
Western New York
Hi Everybody,

It's been a long time since I have been here. Just burning happily with no issues. I recent;y noticed that when the fire is burning hot I can see a glow through the air vents on top at the chimney liner connection. How bad a problem is this? Wife has also been complaining of sinus pain and is blaming the insert.

Thanks for any advice!

I looked more closely and consulted the manual for how it's set up. There appears to be about a 3/4" long crack/gap between the stove and the flue collar adapter. It's visible when the flames are roaring, not when the fire is adjusted down. Are these things caulked at all when they're installed?

The gap should not be there. I had to modify my stove connector to get it to set down properly.
Caulk will burn off, you can try furnace cement, but it will end up cracking and falling off.

You may need a humidifier to help with the sinuses if the humidity in house is too low. I use a Kenmore Console humidifier.

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't see the gap being an issue in performance or a danger. I think the sinus issue is humidity too. I'm going to do a thorough cleaning of the insert and see if that makes her feel better.

The gap should not be there. I had to modify my stove connector to get it to set down properly.
Caulk will burn off, you can try furnace cement, but it will end up cracking and falling off.

You may need a humidifier to help with the sinuses if the humidity in house is too low. I use a Kenmore Console humidifier.

Thanks. I don't see the gap being an issue in performance or a danger. I think the sinus issue is humidity too. I'm going to do a thorough cleaning of the insert and see if that makes her feel better.
The gap isn't a problem the glowing is. If it is glowing you are overfireing the stove

Quick update. The dealer's service guy came out and took required pictures for Regency and after a couple weeks I'm getting a new stove. There's a crack in the weld at the top where the chimney pipe (terminology?) connects. Picture shows the crack with a flashlight shining up the chimney.

Hampton HI300--how bad is this?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a rare one. Good thing you spotted it and that Regency is following through with a replacement.

Reactions: Forrest3290
Nice catch! I do not think I would have seen that. Regency seems to really be doing a decent job of honoring the warranty! How long have you had the stove?

It was pretty obvious when the fire was roaring and you looked at the right angle underneath to stove top. Insert was in its 10th season.

Reactions: Forrest3290