Hampton H300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

simple.serf

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2011
Sherman, NY
Got to see one at my local stove shop yesterday.

Anybody have any opinions on this stove? Seems like the rope gasket design fixed what I hated about the VC stoves (rebuild every few years).

Service from this small local shop has always been amazing, so I'd like to stick with him.

Firebox size is roughly what I am looking for.

Wife likes the looks (important because this one would be in the living room).

The Enerzone downstairs would still be the workhorse, I'm just looking for something that can do supplemental duty when it gets below 20 degrees, which is for about a month and a half a year for us.

Thoughts?

From what I can tell it's a good stove. I know a fellow that has had one for about 5 or 7 yrs now. They like it a lot. It's not a big stove, but a willing heater similar to the Hearthstone Shelburne and sort of like the Jotul Castine, but narrower. The downside is that it's strictly an E/W loader.

I have owned and used the H300 for about 6 years . My usage was different than yours in that it was a primary heat source for 1000 sq. Ft. It was fired up 24/7 for most of the winter . I did have to replace the gaskets twice . It is an e/w stove as begreen mentioned but there are interior andirons to keep logs away from the glass . Also it is either front or side loaded . I typically got what I define as about 4 hours of usable heat out the stove . Again , it was a primary heat source in a cold climate . I have a 35 ft tall chimney with probably to much draft, but could easily control the burn with just the air inlet lever. It would put out a decent amount of heat for it's 1.7 cf firebox size. The top is removable with an air gap at the top of the stove . I did not have the blower option . For your usage I would think it would do just fine . I get the feeling that there aren't a large number of these stoves in use out there . That,s all I have , good luck with your new stove whatever you decide .

Bob

Reactions: j.dhogg
Got to see one at my local stove shop yesterday.

Anybody have any opinions on this stove? Seems like the rope gasket design fixed what I hated about the VC stoves (rebuild every few years).

Service from this small local shop has always been amazing, so I'd like to stick with him.

Firebox size is roughly what I am looking for.

Wife likes the looks (important because this one would be in the living room).

The Enerzone downstairs would still be the workhorse, I'm just looking for something that can do supplemental duty when it gets below 20 degrees, which is for about a month and a half a year for us.

Thoughts?
This my third burning season with the Hampton HI300 and I really love it. I don't use for a primary heat source but do use it quit a bit throughout the winter season and it is a workhorse! I can load up the firebox N/S and it heats our 2000 sq ft Center Hall colonial house very nicely. When it's in the low 30's to high 20's I can keep the whole downstairs at about 73 to 74 and the upstairs bedrooms at about 70 to 71 (we have an open floor plan so the heat easily moves right upstairs). We have a 28ft exterior chimney so I did have a block off plate installed after my first burning season because I didn't think I was burning as efficiently as I could. With the block off plate I have to be careful as the HI300 can cook us out of the family room if I load up the firebox with a lot of dry oak. Only down size is since it's considered a medium size wood insert it will only produce about 4 to 5 hours of usable heat before you will need to load up again. Overall, I have been very impressed with this insert!

The H300 is a free standing stove while the HI300 is an insert .........

Ps - I have burned large wood bricks N/S and wood cut to about 12" in the H300 stove but that's about it .......

Just taking a quick look at the specs for the two wood burners the H300 is listed at a 1.7 cf firebox while the HI300 insert is listed at 2.3 cf .

The H300 FS stove is a beaut, espec in the timberline brown enamel. With its rather beefy weight, side and front door, its a good 1200-1500 sqft heater (for my climate), good for about 6 hours of burn. I've had the opportunity to become familiar with the Regency line of stoves, extremely well designed and very robustly built. Their hybrid cat with sec burn tube burn in the HI400 and CI2600 is pretty unique. I think there are a lot of Regency users out there and the Hampton castings are very attractive. Their enameling is as good as I've seen. Its also a steel stove at heart with cast cladding (The h300). I'd say its right up there with the HS Shelburne and Jotul Castine with the added additional feature of being a side loader. That feature alone lets it stand out. Keep warm all. PS- the H300 ins shares its firebox with the f2400 Regency stove, at 2.3cf. The casting clad H300 insert is really attractive too.