Grinder/wheel selection for cutting masonary pass thru?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

94SS

Dec 29, 2021
Lincoln, Nebraska
I am going to install a Olympia insulated wall thimble thru a masonary wall. Any suggestions on a grinder and wheel to use to make the opening larger for the insulated thimble? Thanks.

I am going to install a Olympia insulated wall thimble thru a masonary wall. Any suggestions on a grinder and wheel to use to make the opening larger for the insulated thimble? Thanks.
I just use a demo hammer. Grinders make too much mess to use in a house

Last edited by a moderator:
A air hammer will cut thru without possibly knocking out a large portion of something that shouldn’t be?
I use electric not air but yes if done properly you can cut through without damaging the rest of the wall. If not done correctly you can make a big mess

I use electric not air but yes if done properly you can cut through without damaging the rest of the wall. If not done correctly you can make a big mess
So about a 10 amp hammer drill? Drill many holes in a circle and carefully come back and chisel out? Something like this or use another brand? Thanks.

BOSCH 11255VSR Bulldog Xtreme 8 Amp 1 Inch Corded Variable Speed SDS-Plus Concrete/Masonry Rotary Hammer https://a.co/d/2ez2Jyl

So about a 10 amp hammer drill? Drill many holes in a circle and carefully come back and chisel out? Something like this or use another brand? Thanks.

BOSCH 11255VSR Bulldog Xtreme 8 Amp 1 Inch Corded Variable Speed SDS-Plus Concrete/Masonry Rotary Hammer https://a.co/d/2ez2Jyl
I don't drill holes but that is a safe way to do it. And yes those are good tools. That's what I use

This is what I just did the other weekend. Through a decorative rock wall, then cinder block then terracotta flue. Worked well didn't make it perfect because it will be hidden by the trim ring. Just needed a 24" bit to get it done. Picture below:

This is what I just did the other weekend. Through a decorative rock wall, then cinder block then terracotta flue. Worked well didn't make it perfect because it will be hidden by the trim ring. Just needed a 24" bit to get it done. Picture below:

View attachment 301844
It will be interesting especially starting later in the year than I should have. I’m guessing their will be a 2nd mess cleaning out the mortar between the two walls.

Sometimes
Would the next step be to light tap the mortar from the chimney wall? Looks like it has a 10 inch clay tile in the cyinder wall with mortar installed inside of it to get down to 8 inches where it meets up with the 8 inch tile 3 inches back in the chimney. It’s 5 1/2 inches from inside wall to chimney wall also. Thanks.