Grilling brats indoors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
Does anyone else do this? The temp dropped to zero and it's too cold/windy to try and grill outside, so we are using the wood stove with one of the top plates removed and the air intake mostly closed. It works very well. There is no odor in the house at all. The brats get perfectly cooked and there is no cleanup. The grate stays right on the stove top When not in use.

If anyone is curious, we made these brats from one of our russian boars. maple, cranberry, apple

8F055E3C-F012-42F8-8EBA-9A06E0385898.jpeg 0B357364-A512-4AC3-9046-F2D60A2D3166.jpeg

Mmmmmm. If I had a brat thawed out I'd be eating it right now.....3:15AM ;lol

The Harmon comes with a grill you place in thru the top. All the years we've had a Harmon I've never used it. Did use the top as a cooktop during Sandy tho.

This is only allowed if you wash them down with Leinies (Leinenkugel beer for those not familiar with "Leinies and brats").

-dan

Reactions: Todd
I personally would not. All the worst that should go up the chimney may be coming though that removed plate hole, into your house and linger there. I assume you have a CO detector, but that does not monitor other particulates trapped in your house, which you may then be breathing in for the rest of the day and night.

IMO, grilling is outdoor cooking. And while I love grilling, I would keep it outside.

I personally would not. All the worst that should go up the chimney may be coming though that removed plate hole, into your house and linger there. I assume you have a CO detector, but that does not monitor other particulates trapped in your house, which you may then be breathing in for the rest of the day and night.

IMO, grilling is outdoor cooking. And while I love grilling, I would keep it outside.

we closed the primary air intake enough to keep all the air going down the hole. You couldn't even smell the brats cooking

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I initially misread "brats" as "bats" and was bracing myself for Covid-20...
Looks tasty!

we closed the primary air intake enough to keep all the air going down the hole. You couldn't even smell the brats cooking

Did you actually have air quality measuring instruments to confirm air quality? Smell alone is not sufficient because for one one thing, you can not smell carbon monoxide. Which can kill you. And even for other chemicals, what is low enough in concentration and undetectable to your nose is still bad for your lungs. For if you did have a proper gas output and particulate monitoring tool, I think you would find your "solution" did not do as much as you may think for your health. Data, not opinion, is what matters. And lacking proper, real data, can affect your health.

Last edited:
Did you actually have air quality measuring instruments to confirm air quality? Smell alone is not sufficient because for one one thing, you can not smell carbon monoxide. Which can kill you. And even for other chemicals, what is low enough in concentration and undetectable to your nose is still bad for your lungs. For if you did have a proper gas output and particulate monitoring tool, I think you would find your "solution" did not do as much as you may think for your health. Data, not opinion, is what matters. And lacking proper, real data, can affect your health.
It's a wood burning cookstove designed to have the plates lifted out for direct flame access. Currently my stove has a single piece glass top, but I also have a steel top with removeable plate. Never had any ash or CO issues with the steel top, and I do have a CO monitor in the stove room. The bigger issue would be VOCs from the meat being released into the house, but a range hood and an air filter can easily solve that issue.

We grill during the winter on the ol'Harman it's great! Usually on a bed coals never have an issue smoke or excessive grilling smell inside the house however outside is another story

Attachments

• Grilling brats indoors?
    20200318_185930.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 106
Some hotdogs wrapped in foil, tossed onto some coals makes some tasty eats also

Reactions: SpaceBus