• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RaySulz85

Jul 30, 2024
Shamrock@85
I have a great book recommendation, it's titled "Wood Heat" by John Vivian. It covers a lot, wood/coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and flues - old and new, cooking tips, wood cutting and storage. I've found it very helpful and informative.

Reactions: ispinwool and 30WCF
It's a good homesteader's guide to wood burning with the caveat that it was written decades ago (1978?), before modern EPA stoves. The basics are still correct but burning techniques, flue requirements, and the requirement of dry wood are now more important.

Another good old book to add to a woodstove lover's library is Jay Shelton's The Woodburner's Encyclopedia circa 1976.

Both books can be downloaded here, not sure if this is OK to post or not....

Why wouldn't you just pay for the works?
The book suggested by degreen is $121 on Amazon, that's a large amount of money for a book.

I pirate all my movies and music for years now. If I paid for everything I've downloaded i would be afraid to see the total cost.

You might find it a nice experience to pay for stuff like this once in a while. Not an 121 dollar book but other stuff Imagine yourself writing a book and then people snagging it for free.

Reactions: bholler
The book suggested by degreen is $121 on Amazon, that's a large amount of money for a book.

I pirate all my movies and music for years now. If I paid for everything I've downloaded i would be afraid to see the total cost.
Do you work for free?

It's under $10 used. $1.92 if some wear and tear is ok.
Shelton's book sells for about $12.

Do you work for free?
@bholler I'd avoid an argument with folks that pirate media. They are professionals at mental gymnastics and are convinced it's either victimless or the people they affect have the money to spare.

@bholler I'd avoid an argument with folks that pirate media. They are professionals at mental gymnastics and are convinced it's either victimless or the people they affect have the money to spare.
That and I was going to call troll on the way the pirate thing was brought up ( totally random).

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
I need to burn the candle at both ends not only by making money but by cutting any corner I can to save, and pirating it a really easy one for me to cut.

I wasn't trolling at all, I'm really interested in both of the books but not willing to pay for them. Found a website easily that you can download any book you want from and wanted to share it with whoever was interested.

I can't afford my own plane.
Should I pirate (aka steal) that too?

Reactions: hearthon
Jay Shelton’s books are the most informative;

IMG_3933.jpeg

These have older stoves and manufacturer information along with operating and installation tips;

Great book on wood stoves and fireplaces.

Reactions: begreen