gravity storage circulation with a 150kBTU gasifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hi all-- still looking into all this, pretty sure that a gasifier furnace is in my future, perhaps (most likely) an Econoburn.

I still need to plan the storage, etc., and am looking into a variety of options, here on Hearth and elsewhere.

I got to thinking- but don't quite have the personal engineering/ math horsepower to really get down to the details- about whether it'd be possible to rig the boiler and storage in a set-up where it's a gravity feed loop. The boiler would be in the cellar. Econoburns have fairly large 2 inch fittings, which'd flow well. I was thinking of a "2-tank" vertically-staged gravity storage, with a smaller sealed upper tank in the 100+/- gallon range being installed in a first-floor large walk-in closet that's pretty much dead center in the house (thus radiation from this tank would help warm everything around it. Then that tank's lower outlet would connect into the upper fitting of a second, larger tank down in the cellar, and the lower fitting of that larger cellar tank would return to the boiler's cold return. Use large-diameter oxygen-barrier PEX for the interconnections. Then, of course, I'd need a second, separate loop for the heat exchange to the living space

I realize I'd still need some sort of thermostatic management for the boiler-tank loop so that the boiler was running at/near operating temp before circulation in the gravity loop started.

Any chance this line of thinking has merit? Feedback and suggestions most welcome!

Thanks

Trevor

It can be done. The guy in the link has a perfect set up for thermo-syphon but if you read the article he is using a pump and has issues. It is a start. http://www.quality-stuff-for-you.com/HYDRONIC/HYDRONICHOME.htm I think with a different plumbing arrangement that tank would be perfect for gravity feed. Others will have more technical info.

As I look through his tank construction, he only has 105 feet of copper Hx to input heat. That is part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.