Grandpa/Grandma Bear door pins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

78CJ

Dec 18, 2018
Northern Mi
The door pins on my Fisher are sticking half way up. Do I just drive them back down? I am getting ready to wire wheel and Stove Bright it. Should I remove the doors?

Thanks

Ryan

I wouldn't try to drive them back down without sort of lube like WD40.

Removing the doors before painting will give you better (complete) coverage of the stove and doors.

Just my 2 cents worth

The first thing you do to move or refinish a stove is lift the doors off.
You need them removed to wire wheel and paint the front. If the pins are half way out, the doors should fall off (unless you have a "outboard" stove with hinge plates welded above and below the door hinge ears) The doors should sit on the hinge plates and raising the pins slightly removes them from the hinge plate.

Hinge pins should drop in by hand. Remove and wire wheel them. I have a small round wire brush to clean the hole in door. If you don't have one to fit, wrap a little emery cloth or fine sandpaper on a stick and clean the hole with that. Grease the pins with anti-seize or high temp grease when installing doors after paint.