got a line on 5 cords BUT.. the owner says it's ten years old

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
got a neighbor that use to burn but hasn't for ten years and he stated he has 5-7 cords of hard wood but again he hasn't burned i ten years. i drive by the stack and he does have it covered with tarps and the sides are fenced in

i plan to offer him $400.00 but should i be concerned that the stuff is so old or punked?

Perhaps. If he kept it dry all this time it should be fine. If not it could be getting punky. Take a look and see. If its been kept dry it certainly will be well seasoned!

I bought about 4-5 cords of oak and other hard woods from a guy who said his dad had the wood in the basement for over 5 years and it was dry. The wood was dry OK, but I found the wood didn't put out as much heat as I thought it was going to. So in my opinion the wood lost btu's from being old.

Shipper

Shipper50 said:
I bought about 4-5 cords of oak and other hard woods from a guy who said his dad had the wood in the basement for over 5 years and it was dry. The wood was dry OK, but I found the wood didn't put out as much heat as I thought it was going to. So in my opinion the wood lost btu's from being old.

Shipper
Shipper, any ideas on why it would loose BTU's? For that to happen, I would think there would have to be some kind of decay or breakdown which would require the presence of water. Like the wood in the framing of your house or your furniture, etc, as long as it stays dry it should retain its complete integrity for decades or longer.

For $400, I'd recommend some close inspection. If you use a moisture meter on a number of pieces and estimate the density, that would let you compare the BTUs with what you'd expect with newer wood. I'm sure others on the forum could help you with that.

If you can't inspect it closely, perhaps you should offer less.

Its been my experience that as long as the wood is solid, you should be fine. Did a little remodeling on a 100 year old house and those scraps seemed to burn just as nice as last years wood cuttings. Also burned some 35 year old wood out of my house remodel - again burned fine. If it gets soft, rotten, spongy, etc then you will definitely loose BTU.

Also, try and confirm the wood is what it is claimed to be. The bark may be long gone, so you really need a sharp eye. I often wonder if some sellers just default to the "It's oak" line when selling a pile of unknown wood.

If the wood is real lite in wieght, it is punked out. If it feels like balsa wood,it has no btu's left. Dry rotted.

Maybe he will let you take a few splits to test fire them before you buy the whole 5 cords.

If he dont want to let you take or buy a few splits for testing, offer him $200.oo & maybe tell him you could offer more if you were sure of what you were getting.

Most reasonable people will give you a couple of logs for inspection & test burning if you explain that you want to make sure the wood is good before you buy.

i checked it out and he kept it all pretty dry. it was all topped with that metal corrugated sheets and for the sides he used some old fence. Looks like there are 8 cords in total

so for around here in MA it's a great deal considering cords sell for between 250 to 300 each and he stated I could take the metal coverings as well – best part is my other neibhor has a dump truck and bob cat – so moving everything should be easy

given that I have 5+ cords that I cut and split and what I bought today no more bucking for me until at least until 10/11

Thanks guys

When below 25% moisture content, it burns fast and does not generate as much heat. But, if it is dry and solid that much wood will go a long way. Why offer anything, ask what they want and offer a bit less because it is so old. Better yet, offer to help get rid of it and haul it away for only $150.

swestall said:
When below 25% moisture content, it burns fast and does not generate as much heat. But, if it is dry and solid that much wood will go a long way. Why offer anything, ask what they want and offer a bit less because it is so old. Better yet, offer to help get rid of it and haul it away for only $150.

under 25% i thought we are all shooting for 15 to 20% for moisture content and i agree to a point BUT this guy said that he used to buy log length and cut and split his own (much like what i am doing now) and i know it's a LOT of work so why not give the old fellow something for his labor and again here log length was costing me 75 a cord and now i wont have to do it for a long time and he'll get a 1/2 tank of oil

turns out this was my old science teacher from Junior High (25 years ago )

jpl1nh said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper
Shipper, any ideas on why it would loose BTU's? For that to happen, I would think there would have to be some kind of decay or breakdown which would require the presence of water. Like the wood in the framing of your house or your furniture, etc, as long as it stays dry it should retain its complete integrity for decades or longer.

I posted the question on my wood not having any heat on another site and got different responses. I am not sure if the basement had moisture as there was a sump in the basement. I just know the wood didn't have as much heat as one would think.

I did buy all the guy had for $150 but had to load it out a window up into my truck and drive about 25 miles each way. It wasn't worth the time and gas.

Shipper

400 bucks is a lot i don't know exactly where you are but i pay 185 a cord or 260 truckload from a friend of mine so its usually 1.75 cords in the truck load
10 y.o it will burn FAST i don't care what ya hear..(based on my personal exp) like someone else said see what he wants if its good for you get it and mix it with some of your other wood or burn it during the day and burn you "newer" wood at night:)

Shipper50 said:
jpl1nh said:
Shipper50 said:

Shipper

I posted the question on my wood not having any heat on another site and got different responses. I am not sure if the basement had moisture as there was a sump in the basement. I just know the wood didn't have as much heat as one would think.

I did buy all the guy had for $150 but had to load it out a window up into my truck and drive about 25 miles each way. It wasn't worth the time and gas.

Shipper
LOL, you come across these "deals" that at the time seem like a great deal. Then, by the time you finish up with it your wondering "what was I thinking?" I came across free apple on Craigslist last spring. Got to the guys house, big old tree already down and slightly cut up in his backyard. They had piled ALL the brush on top of the wood so before I even could get to it I had to move all the brush. After I cut it up, I had to move all the wood by hand from the back yard through a gate, past his car to load. As I was finishing up on the second visit, he said "oh, I was hoping you could take the brush too!" I told him I couldn't but it would make a great bonfire. By the time I was done, it hardly seemed worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.