Good prices on ecofan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a decent price,I saw the large ecofan on sale here last week for $138.00 plus tax of course.

How fast do they go? I'm not buying the marketing but think it a neat novelty

That is a really excellent price. Kind of surprises me because most of the time Lee Valley seems like they have high prices - very high quality tools, and worth what they charge, but also a lot of "bling" factor with fancy materials where plainer would do, and that sort of thing - definitely not for folks on a Harbor Freight budget :lol:

Gooserider

They do carry some high end stuff which is $$$. Sometimes they have very good deals. They had solid brass cabinet pulls on sale for $1.13 a piece and I did all my kitchen cabs for less than $40.

Gooserider said:
That is a really excellent price. Kind of surprises me because most of the time Lee Valley seems like they have high prices - very high quality tools, and worth what they charge, but also a lot of "bling" factor with fancy materials where plainer would do, and that sort of thing - definitely not for folks on a Harbor Freight budget :lol:

Gooserider

Haha, I was just thinking "When is Harbor Freight going to start selling the Chinese knock-off???" Seriously though, the prices on these things are rediculous. I can buy a giant metal heat sink (for a computer processor for example) for less than $30 (just bought one that was free after rebate actually), fan parts are cheap, and the semiconductors are cheap - the chinese knockoff should go for about $40 at the most, maybe half that.

tutu_sue said:
In case you want Santa to bring ya one: http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=2&p=50246&cat=4,104,55967 these prices are very good.

tutu_sue,
How much is the Shipping and Handling?

I've seen one Ebay retailer selling these for $120.00 plus $14.00 for Shipping & Handling.

How cheap would a used one have to be before you would consider buying it? Is any part of this susceptible to wear and tear?
~Cath

The shipping is $9.95. I bought one of these two years ago from Cabelas. I had a coupon and paid $70 for it and $10 for shipping. It moves 100cfm, but you have to make sure the stove top doesn't get over 650F. I put it on a trivet to avoid it getting to hot. It can break at high temps. Not for the faint of heart or wallet, but I like it because it's really kewl, makes all my engineering friends go 'wow' and makes zero noise.

tutu_sue,
$115.00 plus $9.95 for the larger one is a good price. There is one Ebayer with a comparable price if you "Buy It Now". It's even cheaper if you win it for the opening bid of $105.00 but I visited the Carfamo website and apparently buying from an online auction voids the warranty.

I'm wondering what the likelihood is of anything going wrong with it ... anything that's covered by warranty that is. There are a couple of obvious exclusions, including dropping it and I'm guessing allowing it to overheat.

The idea of using a trivet is clever but we'd be using it on a custom made heat shield/shelf so we may actually have the opposite problem, I'm not sure it would reach the necessary temp of 150 degrees. I'm also wondering how heavy it is. The Carfamo site didn't give that info.

How effective is the 2 blade, 100 CFM at moving air? How would it compare to the average household fan on a low setting?

Thanks for the input.
~Cath

Yes, that's pretty close to what I paid for mine several years ago.

Sue, FWIW I've had mine over 700 a few times. It seems to have survived so far. They're tough little fans. I'm expect if the Chinese make a knock off, the motor will seize after a season.

It weighs 1 lb., 5 oz. If you can't get it hot enough, you won't get the rpms to feel it. I can't say for sure, but household fan on low would move a lot air. This is a very small fan.

yeha, I would love to hear some honest opinions on these things cause I just went to the local hardware store and bought a $15 ceeiling mounted fan and plugged it in!

Do a search on ecofan for lots of opinions. The larger version has 3 - 8" blades. At around 600+ degrees it moves very fast and you start hearing it. The air movement is modest, 150 cfm, but adequate to start circulation. It never fails to start a conversation when guests see it working.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of my outfitter tent stove...12x12tent

Unfortunately, I have not found any information on them that interests me like at what temp do they start working and a XY chart of CFM vs stove top temperature.

There are 3 models, one for gas stoves that will operate at lower temps, a 2 blade 100cfm and a 3 blade 150 cfm model.

These fans are not designed to blow your hair back. They do however move a wide gentle cone of air silently, and without electricity.

Every single guest in my house that has seen it running has asked about it, how it works etc...one person had me buy one for them to give to their father.

http://www.caframo.com/ecofans.htm

JBinKC said:
Unfortunately, I have not found any information on them that interests me like at what temp do they start working and a XY chart of CFM vs stove top temperature.

You'll have to ask Caframo the later question. I don't have an RPM guage handy. The fan starts running at at ~200 degrees. It's spinning fast by the time it reaches about 450. When I can easily hear it I usually get up and check the stove temps because it means it's probably at 650 or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.