Good deed for the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
My dad who will be 79 on Dec. 8th still likes to burn wood in his old smoke dragon on occasion which was handmade back in the early 70's.. He tells me he is burning those duraflame logs and I say to him those cost more to heat with than oil.. Bear in mind he has a steel plate stove with no glass anywhere.. Today I brought him some nice seasoned oak along with a little maple and cherry to put my mind at ease that he can get some real heat and burn safely.. He is unstable on his feet and I'd rather he didn't burn wood at all.. I guess I know where I get my woodburning habit from eh? Looking at him now I think the "golden years" are way overrated! My mom died 4 yrs. ago and he has never been the same.. I guess 50 yrs of marriage will do that to you.. Sorry about the rambling..

Ray

Yikes! makes me think of my own mortality...thanks for the reminder. And props to your dads independence.

Thats a great story. wow 79 may we all live a healthy and happy life. 50 years of marriage thats impressive, im on year 12 and Id like to think that each day is better than teh last.

tradergordo said:
Maybe he's dropping hints that he's ready to move in with you :)

Nope he likes his own space plus I don't have enough room without adding on.. He thinks I live in the sticks and compared to him I guess I do! He lives on the outskirts of a city and has essentially 3 houselots so it isn't too bad ( I grew up there).. I still have have 5 living here and next yr. my daughter will be back from college so that makes 6.. This house is 1632 sq. ft. so there is no spare room here... I did look into adding an in-law appt. and found it's pretty expensive.. One of my sisters who lives 1 mile from him has him over for dinner every week and packs up food for him to take home so he does OK...

Ray

Turn your Bobcat pin right side up, for today, Ray. (If there's anyone without a clue what I'm talking about, they were never a Cub Scout). Rick

KatWill said:
Thats a great story. wow 79 may we all live a healthy and happy life. 50 years of marriage thats impressive, im on year 12 and Id like to think that each day is better than teh last.

Thanx! My wife and I have both been married once before and Nov. 19th we celebrated our 26th anniversary.. That's pretty good cuz I am a pain in the ass lol!

Ray

savageactor7 said:
Yikes! makes me think of my own mortality...thanks for the reminder. And props to your dads independence.

You're welcome.. I told my dad that I spend quite a bit of time in the woodpile doing things and he said to keep it up it is good exercise! Staying active is what helps us endure.... Sometimes when I look at him it's hard to believe he once went sledding with me... Sad

Ray

fossil said:
Turn your Bobcat pin right side up, for today, Ray. (If there's anyone without a clue what I'm talking about, they were never a Cub Scout). Rick

LOL OK Rick.. Giving truly feels better than recieving when one helps another less fortunate person.. My grandmother always said whatever you give you will recieve more than you gave and with her it was true! She'd spend a fortune on us kids and then she'd win at bingo over and over lol.. I sure do miss her too.. My dad is the last survivor..

Ray

Two thumbs up !!
My dad likes to burn in his old smoke dragon also he complains that as he gets older his bones feel the cold more, the fire warms the old bones. He is 76 this year.

raybonz said:
KatWill said:

Thanx! My wife and I have both been married once before and Nov. 19th we celebrated our 26th anniversary.. That's pretty good cuz I am a pain in the ass lol!

Ray

Im Sure my wife thinks the same thing of me. Cause I know i can be royal pain in the arse. LOL.

Hurricane said:
Two thumbs up !!
My dad likes to burn in his old smoke dragon also he complains that as he gets older his bones feel the cold more, the fire warms the old bones. He is 76 this year.

Yes he said he feels the cold much more than he used to .. Bottom line enjoy them while you can as we are all on borrowed time..

Ray

Ray, you get a double gold star. Now you and the kids get out there and stack it neatly for him and take a load in and set a schedule to resupply this inside stack. That's right no good deed goes unpunished.

There's a senior I try and help, also. Used to be a couple, but she passed. Someone else gets his wood and a neighbor stacks it, but I go by at least once a week to make sure he has plenty inside to burn. I leave a little on the porch, and if I don't stop, I make sure it's still there. If he's using it, he's out inside.

Kind of hope this is paying it forward.

littlesmokey said:
Ray, you get a double gold star. Now you and the kids get out there and stack it neatly for him and take a load in and set a schedule to resupply this inside stack. That's right no good deed goes unpunished.

There's a senior I try and help, also. Used to be a couple, but she passed. Someone else gets his wood and a neighbor stacks it, but I go by at least once a week to make sure he has plenty inside to burn. I leave a little on the porch, and if I don't stop, I make sure it's still there. If he's using it, he's out inside.

Kind of hope this is paying it forward.

Payment can't always be measured by dollars and cents.. Many times a kind word or a smile is more than enough.. I did tell dad if he needed more to call because he is a 1/2 hr. from me and usually don't go that direction except to see him.. It's good that you help out that senior too as I am am sure it is greatly appreciated and I tip my hat to you! Paying it forward is something we all need to do to make this world a better place to live!

Ray

Keep them close . I lost my Dad this last May. I am probably taking it harder then my sisters since I worked with him everyday for 35 years.

Gary

Great thread.
Do all you can for the old man. They'll come a time when that opportunity is gone. I guarantee you won't be saying you did too many favors for that man. It's always the same, I could have done more. That hurts deep inside.

Gary_602z said:
Keep them close . I lost my Dad this last May. I am probably taking it harder then my sisters since I worked with him everyday for 35 years.

Gary

Very sorry to hear that Gary.. Being that close would make dealing your loss that much more difficult.. My brother-in-law was was with his dad when a fully loaded milk truck slammed into their Kenworth tractor killing his dad right beside him.. They too worked together for years.. All you can do is move forward and with time it gets better..

Ray

raybonz said:
My dad who will be 79 on Dec. 8th still likes to burn wood in his old smoke dragon on occasion which was handmade back in the early 70's.. He tells me he is burning those duraflame logs and I say to him those cost more to heat with than oil.. Bear in mind he has a steel plate stove with no glass anywhere.. Today I brought him some nice seasoned oak along with a little maple and cherry to put my mind at ease that he can get some real heat and burn safely.. He is unstable on his feet and I'd rather he didn't burn wood at all.. I guess I know where I get my woodburning habit from eh? Looking at him now I think the "golden years" are way overrated! My mom died 4 yrs. ago and he has never been the same.. I guess 50 yrs of marriage will do that to you.. Sorry about the rambling..

Ray

if you ever want to spend a day or two getting wood for your dad let me know and i'll come down with my splitter and saw to help out

woodjack said:
Great thread.
Do all you can for the old man. They'll come a time when that opportunity is gone. I guarantee you won't be saying you did too many favors for that man. It's always the same, I could have done more. That hurts deep inside.

Yes your conscious can be brutal at times.. All the shoulda, couldas and wouldas will haunt you so make the best of things and don't put things off is all you can do.. Once I visit dad I always feel better afterwards.. Someday I won't have that opportunity anymore..

Ray

Stevebass4 said:
raybonz said:

Ray

if you ever want to spend a day or two getting wood for your dad let me know and i'll come down with my splitter and saw to help out

Thanx Steve that's very kind of you.. I do have that little splitter now and I have processed all the wood I have so I am all set.. I do appreciate the offer..

Ray

Ray, I admire you, and desperately hope my son will help me down the road. We still cut wood together, but at 61 I can tell you it hurts more every year. The problem is, the mind doesn't change. In fact, as you get older you cherish the things you love even more. And when one of them is burning wood, and feeling its warmth and consolation is needed more than ever, and your body just won't go anymore...well, that's got to be tough. So, keep helping him. He sounds to proud to ask, so check on him and help those golden years be golden. It will probably mean more to him than you can imagine, until you get there and then, there will be someone there to help you. Some things are more important than others!
PS I wish I lived close enough because I would come help you. In fact, I am going to look around here and make sure there isn't someone like your dad that needs help!

I want to give all the dad's here a big hug!
And my own dad too, and FIL, poor dude.

While I appreciate all the kind words I want to say I am not fishing for compliments.. The intent of this post was to say to remember those much like ourselves, honor and help them. The idea of giving is looking for nothing in return and that includes compliments too.. In my mind if you have saught a compliment then you have been paid in full so that takes the charity out of the equation.. For many years my family would gather loads of groceries to help my brother who is disabled and secretly give it to him on Christmas eve and the feeling it gave us was better than any gift you could have given me.. Hope I am making sense here lol...

Ray

tfdchief said:
Ray, I admire you, and desperately hope my son will help me down the road. We still cut wood together, but at 61 I can tell you it hurts more every year. The problem is, the mind doesn't change. In fact, as you get older you cherish the things you love even more. And when one of them is burning wood, and feeling its warmth and consolation is needed more than ever, and your body just won't go anymore...well, that's got to be tough. So, keep helping him. He sounds to proud to ask, so check on him and help those golden years be golden. It will probably mean more to him than you can imagine, until you get there and then, there will be someone there to help you. Some things are more important than others!
PS I wish I lived close enough because I would come help you. In fact, I am going to look around here and make sure there isn't someone like your dad that needs help!

Sounds like he will be there for you down the road.. Your son probably enjoys the comraderie he has with you when working with you.. Let him know when you gotta slow down as I think he would be fine with that and probably just likes being with you.. Sometimes the best help is someone who gets you a cold beer or a hot coffee or perhaps just a good conversation.. It's the little things that make the big difference in life..

Ray

Ray, this has been a good thread. Thanks for posting.

I'm no doubt not the oldest on this forum but have passed the retirement mark. I agree that we do slow down some with age but it is not because we want to. I cut wood for the first time yesterday since March. No, I did not cut very much but the body this morning surely told me I had been doing something different. Age is just one of the reasons we have a big wood pile. I know some time I may not be able to cut. Okay, I still have wood ready to burn. Certainly there would be many come in and cut for us (many have offered already) but it just seems better doing it yourself and as stated, the exercise is good for the body.

I also agree; spend time with Dad. Our time on Earth is short so we need to make the most of it. Both of my parents are gone as are my wife's parents. We still have memories and it is strange that this came up because as I was driving home this morning from the city, I was thinking of our parents; both sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.