Good bye smoke hood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huffdawg

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2009
British Columbia Canada
After adjusting the secondary door and getting some good how to light your fire tips, I don't think I will be needing my smoke hood .
I have been lighting fires and letting them burn right out before I start another one . Adjusting the amount of wood to the approximate amount of heat I need.
Once I have storage on line It will definately be alot less work than it allready is.
I have the fire lighting down to adding 6 to 8 pieces of cedar and then whatever amount of maple I need and than using a map gas torch up through the nozzle from the secondary for about 30 seconds.

My smart 40 DHW heats the water from cold in about 15 mins. Very Happy with it also.

Yesterday I went and bought $700.00 worth of parts to plumb my storage. All 1-1/4 copper fittings and pipe and a GF circ. pump.

Question.... Would a grundfoss alpha be ok in a storage, charge and recovery type application.

Huff

If you are looking to sell the smoke hood let me know. Was planning on this sometime in 2012.

muncybob said:
If you are looking to sell the smoke hood let me know. Was planning on this sometime in 2012.

It would most likely cost more to ship it to you than the cost of it. It only cost $100.00 to have someone fabricate.

I'm not sure If it would work with the EKO without the fan on the back, but on mine I do like you only put a piece of cardboard
under the kindling and light from the top door. Still don't get smoke and don't have to get on your Knees or floor to light it.

huffdawg said:
After adjusting the secondary door and getting some good how to light your fire tips, I don't think I will be needing my smoke hood .
I have been lighting fires and letting them burn right out before I start another one . Adjusting the amount of wood to the approximate amount of heat I need.
Once I have storage on line It will definately be alot less work than it allready is.
I have the fire lighting down to adding 6 to 8 pieces of cedar and then whatever amount of maple I need and than using a map gas torch up through the nozzle from the secondary for about 30 seconds.

My smart 40 DHW heats the water from cold in about 15 mins. Very Happy with it also.

Yesterday I went and bought $700.00 worth of parts to plumb my storage. All 1-1/4 copper fittings and pipe and a GF circ. pump.

Question.... Would a grundfoss alpha be ok in a storage, charge and recovery type application.

Huff

I don't think you want the GF Alpha in your application. The Alpha is something you want running your heat zones indoors. I have mine running 2 baseboard zones and I love it. Uses 8 watts and pushes 4 GPM when BOTH zones are calling for heat...sweet !

Pat

woodsmaster said:
I'm not sure If it would work with the EKO without the fan on the back, but on mine I do like you only put a piece of cardboard
under the kindling and light from the top door. Still don't get smoke and don't have to get on your Knees or floor to light it.

My EKO doesn't have the draft inducer I have lots of natural draft. and it works great when lighting a fire.

Pat53 said:
huffdawg said:

Huff

I don't think you want the GF Alpha in your application. The Alpha is something you want running your heat zones indoors. I have mine running 2 baseboard zones and I love it. Uses 8 watts and pushes 4 GPM when BOTH zones are calling for heat...sweet !

Pat

Ya I was thinking it would be one of the most used pumps on the system and that it would save a few $'s in electricity. I could swap it for my infloor circ pump which has 5 zones

Hey, Red Solo Cup: a little Toby Keith in your signature. The bumbest song but you can't help but like it...

After adjusting the secondary door and getting some good how to light your fire tips, I don’t think I will be needing my smoke hood .

Your epiphany on smokeless starting and burning is great. The advice to let the wood load burn down before reloading rises to the surface from various burners time and time again. Maybe your post will finally convince those who experience smoke to let the wood load burn down -- problem solved. Happy New Year!

Glad to hear it is working good for you Huff. Keep us posted on your storage progress. THAT will make your system complete. I am really interested in how long you will be able to go between burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.