Going through the wall with class A

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
The back ground to the story is I’m replacing my masonry block chimney with metal class A. being that class A has a 2” clearance to combustibles can I avoid the trim ring with the factory thimble and just cement in the double wall with Proper 2 inch clearance to combustible? I’m not sure how to make that large trim ring work with my masonry.

Below is my current setup from the interior that’s getting retrofitted with Class A

Going through the wall with class A

The back ground to the story is I’m replacing my masonry block chimney with metal class A. being that class A has a 2” clearance to combustibles can I avoid the trim ring with the factory thimble and just cement in the double wall with Proper 2 inch clearance to combustible? I’m not sure how to make that large trim ring work with my masonry.

Below is my current setup from the interior that’s getting retrofitted with Class A

View attachment 277700
That is a question for the chimney manufacturer. What is that veneer stone adhered to?

That is a question for the chimney manufacturer. What is that veneer stone adhered to?

lets say my only choice was the factory wall thimble how would you make it work with that stone veneer?

Would you try to put the interior trim plate on top or the stone?

Would you try to cut the stone with a circular masonry blade on a grinder and sink the trim plate in?

Or would you try to pop enough of the veneer off to put the plate in and grout up to it?