Going For It

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

captrick

Sep 29, 2020
KY
Ordered the VC Mont II with the Mead II Surround. Excited to finally have something that looks nice as well as puts off some heat...that I don't have to tend every few minutes.

We aren't new to wood stoves, we have one that's about 20 years old in the basement. It's a beast, and we LOVE it. We are new to "wood inserts", so I always worry a bit about how things will go verses my expectations. LOL I love our fireplace...it's beautiful...so aesthetics played a big role in which insert we chose. I love to watch the fire...and I didn't want a "plain" surround..so..we chose the VC.

We're having an insulated liner put in (thanks to those who assisted with my education on that). We live in the middle of nowhere, so not a lot of choices on "who" to have the install done by. The particular company we are using has been in business for over 30 years, so after having a frank discussion with their "sales guy" about why I need and want a liner...he did concede that "it's best"..but not "required". Ok...whatever, Dude. Just put one in because I want one. They are going to have a job...we have a 12x12 pitch roof with a custom metal (double flue) chimney cap they have to take off and put back without damaging. Anything I should watch for while they install since I'll be here? I am pretty handy..so, I usually can spot when something is wrong or is being done..not so well.

We have an existing "vent" for our masonry fireplace (basically a hole I can open or close to pull more outside air in to feed the fireplace if needed). They will hook the insert in to that because it comes with that option. (Tighter homes sometimes need it..though I've not found the need for it with our existing fireplace...flues pretty well). I'm not having an outlet put behind it for the blower..simply because we just don't feel like we'll use it. We don't use the one on our wood stove now..., but there is an outlet within a few feet of the hearth if I ever feel the need.

What advice do you all have? Unit should be in next week..then probably installed the following week. I'll post some before pics..then after ones when it's done. We have tons of wood. We already use for our existing stove...live on 30 acres of woods...we have a wood splitter..so..I don't foresee issues in that respect.

Attachments

• Going For It
    Fireplace.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Going For It
    Chimney.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: iceman2424
That's a beautiful fireplace. The insert will look great in there. I suspect you will be using the blower more often than not. Flush inserts depend a lot on the convection blower to heat the room. You will be one of the first here with the new Montpelier. Please keep us posted on your experiences heating with it throughout the winter.

Reactions: captrick
That's a beautiful fireplace. The insert will look great in there. I suspect you will be using the blower more often than not. Flush inserts depend a lot on the convection blower to heat the room. You will be one of the first here with the new Montpelier. Please keep us posted on your experiences heating with it throughout the winter.

Crazy question...didn’t occur to me to ask the installer while he was out here measuring for the liner today...will they have to “grind” the stone on the face of my fireplace for the trim plate to fit flush???

Normally no. It would just abut to the stone face. A small gap could be caulked. If you put a straight-edge on the face, how irregular is it?

Normally no. It would just abut to the stone face. A small gap could be caulked. If you put a straight-edge on the face, how irregular is it?
It’s a bit jagged...do these pics help?

Attachments

• Going For It
    961A6199-F4BA-4326-B45A-9C4B80014561.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Going For It
    ED6DFFF8-2192-4D71-9A8E-4DEC2AE45C4D.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 131
I wouldn’t think that altering the stone is needed.

I wouldn’t think that altering the stone is needed.

I hope not...not only do I not want to deal with the mess, but I really don’t want to alter it if at all possible.

Just watching videos on install where they say you should...made me a bit nervous.

I hope not...not only do I not want to deal with the mess, but I really don’t want to alter it if at all possible.

Just watching videos on install where they say you should...made me a bit nervous.

Worst case, the trim around insert ( also called the “surround”) may not be perfectly flush to the stone. As mentioned above, there are likely some good ways to seal up any unwanted gaps and you’ll be good to go. Just specify to installer that you do not want the stone altered.

My fireplace is stone and the opening is arched...I didn't want that ugly black surround so I made a steel platform with legs to set the insert stove on...makes it look like a free stander...but with the blower up front...which is why I want an insert style stove...easy to service/clean the blower.Going For It

Talked to the installers today, and they do not plan to grind any of my stone (yay). They said it's an "option" when needed, but they don't usually do that unless the face of the fireplace is "really" uneven. They will be using a 304L Homesaver UltraPro Pre-Insulated liner, and I've gone through the entire install process with them now. Literally, to give myself peace of mind on what the "plan" is from their point of view and for me to know what to expect when they install.

Hi Just wondering if you're install is done yet? If so, would you mind sharing some pics? I have a Lopi Large Flush NexGen insert being installed next week. I was seriously considering the VC Montpelier, but finally pulled the trigger on the Lopi. Like you, I also had the insulated liner conversation with a couple of dealers. Thanks to the great knowledge and advice gained on this forum, I insisted on one (exterior chimney).

Hi Just wondering if you're install is done yet? If so, would you mind sharing some pics? I have a Lopi Large Flush NexGen insert being installed next week. I was seriously considering the VC Montpelier, but finally pulled the trigger on the Lopi. Like you, I also had the insulated liner conversation with a couple of dealers. Thanks to the great knowledge and advice gained on this forum, I insisted on one (exterior chimney).
They are actually coming tomorrow. It's been a huge fiasco back and forth with the sales guy. Ended-up having to get the owner involved. Turns out, these guys don't "like" dealing with wood burning and only do them when they have to. <insert huge eye roll> The owner has been such an A$$ about the whole thing because I have a 12X12 pitch roof. Their guys don't like my roof pitch, so he him-and-hawed about it because they can't bring a crane to do it due to the placement of my chimney. (Been thru this before with our custom Chimney Cap install). He finally conceded he'd have to use scafolding to install the liner and not risk damaging my custom cap or one of his guys. Yelled at his sales guy (who is his son-in-law) for taking the job in the first place. Good grief. I'll just be glad to get it done and be done with them. Most all other companies don't service my area or give the same runaround; so I'm just glad I know exactly what they're putting in and we've gone over in detail what the install will entail. Owner will be on site to ensure it gets done correctly given all of the back and forth. Will post some pics soon as it's in.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Can't believe they balked so much, it's an exterior chimney and scaffolding will really be pretty painless aside from getting the components up there.

Can't believe they balked so much, it's an exterior chimney and scaffolding will really be pretty painless aside from getting the components up there.
Yep. Just people being lazy. They'd rather deal with gas fireplaces because it's less work.

Looks good. Happy heating!

Looks great!

I don't see any flames. Kind of like buying a new car and having the dealer park it in your garage.

Looks good! Let us know how you like it. I just ordered the Quadrafire expedition 2, so basically the same insert

That looks fantastic! I hope I like my Lopi as much as this VC. If you don't mind, post an update after you've had a chance to burn some wood. I'd love to hear how it performs. I was between the VC that you have, a Blaze King Ashford 25, and the Lopi Large Flush. I ultimately chose the Lopi because I really liked the dealer/installer the best. But it was a tough call.