Glass cleaning suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
looking to whip my door glass in to shape. Suggestions? Generally speaking, I use the routine cleaner, and the glass is not gunked up with black creosote or anything like that.

I just have some burnt-in imperfections that only I can really see. I am wondering if there is a product out there I can use to buff it out? Something more aggressive?

Wet towel with ash does wonders. Wet towel, dip in ash and then wipe. Of course, make sure there is no chance the ash contains embers and then soak the towel in water afterward to avoid fire.

A wet SOS pad used very gently can work. I have used SOS pads on Pyrex pans for 30 years and haven't scratched one yet. Trick is keep it wet and rub gently. Dont dig into the glass. Use at own risk.

Wet towel with ash does wonders. Wet towel, dip in ash and then wipe. Of course, make sure there is no chance the ash contains embers and then soak the towel in water afterward to avoid fire.

Seconded. The easiest solution is the best. I just wish my andirons were removable to clean behind them.

looking to whip my door glass in to shape. Suggestions? Generally speaking, I use the routine cleaner, and the glass is not gunked up with black creosote or anything like that.

I just have some burnt-in imperfections that only I can really see. I am wondering if there is a product out there I can use to buff it out? Something more aggressive?

My stove glass always gets dirty (creosote and ash .... especially in the corners). On a cool glass, I use plain super fine steel wool and follow up with a damp paper towel. I don't use any solvents or chemicals (not needed in my opinion).

Reactions: Ludlow
I usually only use damp paper towel . . . or dip it in the ashes.
I ended up with some hazing after last winter . . . vinegar took care of the hazing.

My stove glass always gets dirty (creosote and ash .... especially in the corners). On a cool glass, I use plain super fine steel wool and follow up with a damp paper towel. I don't use any solvents or chemicals (not needed in my opinion).
Mine cleans up nicely with a wet rag while the glass is still warm

2018 drolet ht2000

My glass soots up in a short time after I clean it in the off season. I worried about any wet on it while the fire was going and the glass hot, so I keep a scraper handy. I have a 3" wide scraper with a handle, and just a few passes when filling the stove cleans off the glass pretty well. No perfectly clean, but not sooted over either.

My glass soots up in a short time after I clean it in the off season.
The question is, why is it sooting up? This can be because the fire is not getting enough air, weak draft, wood that is not fully seasoned or the stove has a poor airwash system. The last item is not common on modern stoves. What stove is this happening with?