Getting used to new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Recently bought the Regency 2450. Did the break in fires. Things seem to work well. I loaded stove about 1/2-3/4 full with stove top temp at a little under 300 (blower on) on fairly deep bed of coals. I turned air down pretty quick to full close. Took a while for the flame to pick up but after a while I could see stove was on the path of running away. At low 800 stove temp mark, I did the swinging the door open trick over some time and this prevented stove from getting any hotter.
I did the dollar bill trick before ever lighting a fire as well as just now. Stove passes test except for hinge side (fair to good amount of resistance on bill but I can pull it out with some effort at that spot. The other sides are good and firm). Doesn’t seem to me to be an obvious leak at the gasket.
The manual states that adjusting the latch by removing a washer or two may be needed. Would you guys recommend doing this or see how stove reacts to loading on less coals than I did? Or any other suggestions?

Hey Woodtick - If it were me, I'd try reloading on fewer coals the next time and/or maybe using larger splits. It sounds like starting a fire from scratch is going OK? Is that correct?

Also, is there a place where you can block the air intake? I have an Oslo 500 and there's a round hole in the bottom of the stove near that back where all air enters. Those of us with that stove often have an aluminum foil "ball" that we can shove in there if needed. I've never had to use mine, but I did test it. If I insert that, I can pretty much extinguish the fire. It's a nice confidence builder. I keep that foil ball in the drawer where I have my Super Cedars and other fire starters, so it's out of the way, but handy if I need it.

Good luck!

Hey Woodtick - If it were me, I'd try reloading on fewer coals the next time and/or maybe using larger splits. It sounds like starting a fire from scratch is going OK? Is that correct?

Also, is there a place where you can block the air intake? I have an Oslo 500 and there's a round hole in the bottom of the stove near that back where all air enters. Those of us with that stove often have an aluminum foil "ball" that we can shove in there if needed. I've never had to use mine, but I did test it. If I insert that, I can pretty much extinguish the fire. It's a nice confidence builder. I keep that foil ball in the drawer where I have my Super Cedars and other fire starters, so it's out of the way, but handy if I need it.

Good luck!

Yes getting the fire going is easy- I have good dry wood. I think you’re right. In retrospect, I underestimated how hot the stove was on reload. I was able to have very manageable fires after reloading on much cooler stove today. After messing with the stove more today, I realized it holds good coals for a LONG time.
This stove does have does have what looks like the air inlet hole in bottom of stove-easily accessible. I’m going grab some foil and test that out. Thanks for your help!

We burned an old VC Defiant in this house for almost 30 years - we bought that stove new in 1979! We finally decided to replace it with something with a fire view and something that was cleaner burning and got the Jotul Oslo. Oh man ... I knew that I would have to "learn" the new stove, but I would have never guessed how much I had to learn! Part of that was the stove itself and in my case, part of it was the wood. The Defiant would burn OK with wood a bit above 20% moisture ... the Oslo, not so much!

As I struggled with the Oslo, I found that I had to treat each fire as an experiment in order to learn the stove. I experimented with different size splits, I waited for the coals to be almost gone before reloading, filling the stove only part way, filling it all the way, and on an on. Each one of those things taught me something about how the stove works and now I burn it as easily as I did the old Defiant! You have a lot of woodburning experience and I think that's both a blessing and a curse! You have all of the right instincts, but old habits are hard to break. Having been through this process I would say that burning the Oslo is nothing like burning the Defiant. You might think that in both cases it's just "fire in a box", but the two stoves could not be any more different.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Ctw, where and how are you measuring the temperature?

OK, about 750 is as hot as you want to take it there. Try closing the air down, in increments, much sooner. Let the wood start to catch and close it down to about 50% or until the flames get lazier. Then close down again as soon as the flames regain strength until they get lazier again. A good probe thermometer helps guide this.