Getting my 1995 VC CDW Seneca ready for its 26th heating season!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
Well, starting to do pre-season prep on my 1995 Seneca (model #2170). It has had two full rebuilds, plus in-between tweaking as needed. A lot of porcelain chipping/cracking. Typical inner top-zone needs (inner top, web, damper, baffle) over the years. Full rebuild about every 7 years. Gone through several catalytic converters.

With dry wood, burns so clean that annual liner sweeps result in barely any dust. Looked at near stoves over the years, including recently, but haven't seen anything that would be a big improvement. would like about 10% more efficiency, and definitely a longer overnight burn time.

Other than that, no complaints.
DSCN0088.JPGDSCN1712.JPGIMG_4080.JPG

That's a rare bird. I have never seen one in person. The frequent rebuilds and cat replacements would not wear well with me. There are better stoves for burn time, efficiency and rebuild cycles, but at least it's paid for!

the stove gets heavy use november thru march. VC radiance propane on thermostat as supplement/backup/shoulder season.

the inner top issue is the reason for the frequent rebuilds. constant high temps with the cat and thinner cast cause eventual warping/disintegration. first rebuild i was bummed that i had to pull the whole stove apart to replace the inner top. however, with all parts and materials, it really is a two day job, so not so bad.

paid $600 for it new, 50% off sale.

specs: 72% efficiency 2.1 grams 34k BTU

Can't seem to edit first post. model 2170, not 2160. there was a larger version, the sequoia.

the stove gets heavy use november thru march. VC radiance propane on thermostat as supplement/backup/shoulder season.

the inner top issue is the reason for the frequent rebuilds. constant high temps with the cat and thinner cast cause eventual warping/disintegration. first rebuild i was bummed that i had to pull the whole stove apart to replace the inner top. however, with all parts and materials, it really is a two day job, so not so bad.

paid $600 for it new, 50% off sale.

specs: 72% efficiency 2.1 grams 34k BTU
Well the price was right. What do parts costs per rebuild? Are they getting hard to locate?

(I'll change the stove model number)

Well the price was right. What do parts costs per rebuild? Are they getting hard to locate?

(I'll change the stove model number)
the most commonly replaced parts are available. like the inner top, web, inner back and inner side. just ordered some last year. not sure about the exterior parts. i believe i was told that with VC under new ownership, that older stove parts should reproduced for some time to come.

one part for my radiance stove that is important but is no longer available is a stainless steel burner base that goes under the log set.

That's a rare bird. I have never seen one in person. The frequent rebuilds and cat replacements would not wear well with me. There are better stoves for burn time, efficiency and rebuild cycles, but at least it's paid for!
do you feel that two rebuilds (plus tweakings) and three or four cats in 26 years is a lot?

do you feel that two rebuilds (plus tweakings) and three or four cats in 26 years is a lot?
I was going by the rebuild every 7 yrs, which would be 3 in 26 yrs, no? But even at two, it sounds like several hundred per rebuild plus $800? In cats? Is that correct?

For me, it would be a lot. I expect to spend less than $200, possibly half that, for our stove maintenance requirements over that same time period. That would be for 2 door gaskets, a glass gasket and some replacement firebrick. Of course, that is assuming that I or the stove will still be in service that long.

my last rebuild was in 2011 (see pics), the one before that was '04, and bought new in '95. it is approaching another inner top replacement in a year or two, depending on use. the cats are not too much: $100-$150. not bad for about 8 years of full winter use.

the inner top design is the weak link. many stoves have inner sacrificial parts, but perhaps don't need to be dismantled to get back to normal.

Last edited: