Getting Heat to Basement from 1st Floor Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HearthsAndMinds

Nov 17, 2019
Washington, D.C.
Before I start. I KNOW. Best way to heat the house is from the bottom up —thems the rules (of science).

What that, I’m wondering if anyone has any creative ideas for pumping heat down into the basement from my first floor stove. My stove is installed in front of a forced air vent, which helps push heat throughout the first floor and (and imagine it radiates and circulates some heat through the ductwork you upstairs.

The stove is an old Dovre stove (more info from my post Here) and it puts out a LOT of heat. I’ve seen some people use a small fan at the end of some metal tubing attached to the back of the stove and sent through the floor but it never really looks safe or clean.

It's not going to work. The amount of BTUs needed to heat the basement are significant, especially if it is uninsulated. Also, direct ducting of the stove is not allowed. A return air duct needs to be 10 ft away from the stove.

It's not going to work. The amount of BTUs needed to heat the basement are significant, especially if it is uninsulated. Also, direct ducting of the stove is not allowed. A return air duct needs to be 10 ft away from the stove.
That’s good to know. I’ll consider this a closed case on my end. I appreciate the help!

Best way to heat basement is to put a stove down there.

Reactions: begreen