Getting closer! BK Ashford 25 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darktower007

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2018
Chattanooga
Getting closer! BK Ashford 25 install
I’m in the process of cleaning the hearth,
Sweeping tomorrow, getting the sheet metal fabbed up and she’ll be ready to like and Roxul.. stay tuned!

Reactions: Lone_Gun
it was just a few months ago i was at that stage too...fun times!

if you want to get more of the creosote off the bricks you can cook it off with a heat gun.

my other advice is secure your roxul well, you really dont want any exposed the fibers are microscopic and you dont want to be breathing them (and wear a respirator or dust mask when installing!)

it was just a few months ago i was at that stage too...fun times!

if you want to get more of the creosote off the bricks you can cook it off with a heat gun.

my other advice is secure your roxul well, you really dont want any exposed the fibers are microscopic and you dont want to be breathing them (and wear a respirator or dust mask when installing!)

I thought about either not using the Roxul or spray painting it with high temp stove paint.. idk [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's above a blockoff you should be ok. If on the sides or back of the firebox I'd find a way to encapsulate it

Is it an interior or exterior fireplace?

I initially installed Roxul on sides and back of firebox...then ripped that all out. I didn't notice huge gains with it but then again the Montpelier insert has it's own internal insulation on the sides of the unit. It did run hotter with the Roxul packed up against it but I honestly think it could lead to overfire situations or at least make out of control situations worse.

I didn't have room between the Roxul and insert...just not enough room in the firebox. If your firebox is big enough line it with the Roxul and then put sheet metal or cement board all around and encapsulate it(would seal with high temp silicone too).

Someday I might insulate again with an inch of micore or something, but I don't know, I still get tons of heat from the unit. It's 25 outside right now and 80 in the insert room

Reactions: darktower007
I should add that my fireplace is also exterior, west facing, but it gets no sun at all due to a row of giant hedges on that side of the house. The firebox definitely gets cold. I think the biggest gains (with regards to room comfort)in insulating it was preventing that heat loss when the insert isn't burning. That room is an add on furthest from the furnace, over a crawlspace, and has 3 exterior walls so it is always colder than the rest of the house. But with the insert cranking the room gets super toasty and I haven't once thought that I *need* insulation in there.

I should add that my fireplace is also exterior, west facing, but it gets no sun at all due to a row of giant hedges on that side of the house. The firebox definitely gets cold. I think the biggest gains (with regards to room comfort)in insulating it was preventing that heat loss when the insert isn't burning. That room is an add on furthest from the furnace, over a crawlspace, and has 3 exterior walls so it is always colder than the rest of the house. But with the insert cranking the room gets super toasty and I haven't once thought that I *need* insulation in there.

I’m hoping a block off plate will do it. If it doesn’t I’ll pull it back out and add it.

That's a good way to approach it. If you plan to heat exclusively with wood and/or are trying to heat a place too big for the insert it would be worth doing, but it's not night and day difference. I think the blockoff plate has a bigger impact

Fire place is exterior facing north.

May want to request advice from the pro's due to the orientation of your exterior north facing chimney. New thread perhaps? No better time than the present to get er done!
On the other hand.... Chattanooga!