Getting Clay Flue Liner Clean Before Re-lining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pkay

May 22, 2024
Northeast Ohio
How clean is "clean enough" when removing creosote from a clay flue tile liner before installing a stainless steel liner? I know that if enough creosote is left behind in the flue that the new liner can still get hot enough to ignite the creosote deposits. Are the following pictures "clean enough" or is that creosote still too much and definitely has to be removed?

I’m not a professional, but that looks like some stage 3 glazed creosote that could not come off with a normal brush sweeping of chimney. I could be wrong, but the pics are a a little blurry. Also not sure how widespread the deposits are in your system. An option is to have the clay broken out prior to install of new insulated liner. I’d go in that direction. Will add to the cost of install but then you can sleep better.