Getting a new wood stove looking for Hearthstone Shelbourne comparisons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Stagolee104

Nov 16, 2018
Hey Everybody, I have a Vermont casting Mirrormack what was installed in our home when we bought it, I've been heating our home with it for the last 6 years but its time to replace it it. its been great heating our home with it but one more season hearing that fan run smooth all day then start jackhammering in the middle of the night me and my wife might go insane lol. I went to a local woodstove dealer and he suggested the Hearthstone Shelbourne. I'm heating 1400 square foot cape with a center located chimney with vaulted ceilings with a large ceiling fan above. We just had an energy audit and our house is sealed up as much is possible, they said any more sealing the house will grow mold. New windows, finished basement with 4" of closed cell foam in the basement walls. Just wanted to give some info if that helps with stove suggestion. Besides the hearthstone Shelbourne what other stove should i be looking at? the stove does need to be rear venting. Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Getting a new wood stove looking for Hearthstone Shelbourne comparisons

Is the fan all that is wrong with the Merrimack? If so, has a replacement fan been looked into?

For a replacement, the Shelburne sounds right. Also consider the Jotul F45 which can be ordered with short legs for the rear vent to clear the lintel. Another alternative would be a Woodstock stove like the Fireview, Palladian, Keystone, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stagolee104
Agree with BG, a replacement fan would be a lot less expensive, not a huge deal to do. Moving that behemoth will be some work for someone too. If its over 6 seasons, sounds like it did its work, time to be replaced. Stay warm.

Is the fan all that is wrong with the Merrimack? If so, has a replacement fan been looked into?

For a replacement, the Shelburne sounds right. Also consider the Jotul F45 which can be ordered with short legs for the rear vent to clear the lintel. Another alternative would be a Woodstock stove like the Fireview, Palladian, Keystone, etc.
yeah pretty much, I've already replaced the fan once. its just loud all the time even when its running smooth. but it does start to jackhammer the bottom plate or a rattle starts up, I'm constantly chancing a noise coming from it. its been great but it would be nice to get a free standing stove. I also don't want to completely rely on the fan when the power goes out, it can't really keep up with out the fan.

awesome, ill look into those. Thank you

Agree with BG, a replacement fan would be a lot less expensive, not a huge deal to do. Moving that behemoth will be some work for someone too. If its over 6 seasons, sounds like it did its work, time to be replaced. Stay warm.
yeah the fan had been replaced once and the stove does a great job heating our house but I'm constantly chasing a noise coming from the fan, it will cause a raddle in the bottom plate or start a jackhammering sound, ill fix it and it always comes back. it time for a new stove for sure. you as well.

yeah pretty much, I've already replaced the fan once. its just loud all the time even when its running smooth. but it does start to jackhammer the bottom plate or a rattle starts up, I'm constantly chancing a noise coming from it. its been great but it would be nice to get a free standing stove. I also don't want to completely rely on the fan when the power goes out, it can't really keep up with out the fan.

awesome, ill look into those. Thank you
It could just be imbalanced due to an accumulation of dust or pet hairs. Often a good cleaning will cure this.

I'd avoid the shelburne, or any of the associated stoves (their cast line and GM line) if you're going to rear-vent it. I have a rear-vented shelburne and unless you have a long chimney run (25+ft) you'll probably have issues with smoke roll-out on reload and maybe some backpuffing. Mine chimney is at ~27.5 ft and if I let the STT drop too low I can still have smoke rollout on reload from time to time.

Why not just replace the insert with another insert?

It could just be imbalanced due to an accumulation of dust or pet hairs. Often a good cleaning will cure this.
For sure, yeah it definitely helps cleaning it and happens less, I vacuum it out frequently and use a toothbrush to loosen up the pet hair/ dust but it a Constand effort. even when its clean it still rattles. just trying to avoid a fan at this point.

I'd avoid the shelburne, or any of the associated stoves (their cast line and GM line) if you're going to rear-vent it. I have a rear-vented shelburne and unless you have a long chimney run (25+ft) you'll probably have issues with smoke roll-out on reload and maybe some backpuffing. Mine chimney is at ~27.5 ft and if I let the STT drop too low I can still have smoke rollout on reload from time to time.

Why not just replace the insert with another insert?
I was also looking at the heritage this morning as well. I just did a quick rough measuring of out chimney and its right around 25' maybe just over. we are trying to avoid the noise of a fan at this point, also I don't want to rely on the fan working to keep the house warm when the power goes out, even with the generator it nice not having to worry about it.