Getting a Chinook 30 to replace an Avalon Olympic, maybe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bushman

Burning Hunk
Dec 28, 2014
Northern Michigan
Over the years I have used quite a few different wood stoves. The last two were Hearthstone Bennington and now presently a Avalon Olympic.

I had a really good experience with the Bennington, it was very easy to run stove but, the 2.5 cu ft fire box made me jump to an Avalon Olympic for some more firepower. The Avalon did good and when I was refurbishing it, decided to use high density graphite gaskets on the door and window. That was a mistake. When tightening the window clips, I snapped the door glass. $100.00 for a new window. During operation of the stove had trouble with it not burning completely and leaving lots of coals.

Yesterday I went to Emmett Brick and Block and bought some low density 1” rope for the door and 3/8 for the window, now the Olympic is burning right. The ash is now all fine ash and instead of getting up at 3:00am waited til 6:00am and had a good coal bed to start the days burn.

Well, now that I have the Olympic sorted out, I decided to buy a Chinook 30 that came up locally. I have never owned a catalytic stove but, have often thought how nice the long burns would be. Seems like the Blaze Kings do just fine on Pine and I can scrounge Pine easier than Hardwood.

I know the BTU number are quite different between the Olympic and the Chinook 30. Would the longer but, lower burns average out and give similar heat? The Olympic is a slugger and with that said has its ups and downs. It burns hot for a while then slows way down.

Would I be disappointed in the Blaze King Chinook 30 after the Olympic?

I know, another Blaze King vs. thread. Anyone got a thought on this?

" but, the 2.5 cu ft fire box made me jump to an Avalon Olympic for some more firepower" yet you want to drop back to a smaller box in the chinook? When the cold winds blow.... cat stove or not.... your going to burn more wood period.How well insulated is your home?How hard did you have to run the Olypmic during the early January arctic blast? Your burn times them? You throw long burn times right out the window when you have to push a stove hard.

The BK will offer longer low burns, but not longer high burns. Firebox size is firebox size.

If you want a BK that can offer longer low and high burns, look at the King. It can go 48 hours on low, and has a 4.3cf firebox. Needs an 8" vent, though.

Reactions: Tar12
What' the price? If it's cheap enough try it. Might be surprised how well the metered output works. A thought.

$800 for the Chinook. I did think about the drop in box size but, was thinking the extended time burning would equal out.

I’ve had 20+ stoves over the years trying to find the magic setup. Never had a catalytic stove so I imagined something different happens. Even after reading all the threads you just have to see to know.

I enjoy fiddling with stoves and have to admit there’s part of me that wants to see how a catalytic runs anyhow.

The Olympic is running good now, the low density rope makes the wood burn into fine ash and 6 hours on a 3/4 load last night is pretty good. I had a similar issue with a Liberty a couple years back and just ended up selling it off.

This Olympic sits on the big ash box pedestal.

Attachments

• Getting a Chinook 30 to replace an Avalon Olympic, maybe
    82B938AF-64F5-4FCB-83BB-E40A4326824A.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 106
Whats the square footage of your place? This might work for you..the catalytic stove really intrigued me as well...I scratched that itch and I am so glad that I did!

Around 2100 square ft. I’ve done it on a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 but really had to put the wood to it.

800 would be a buy in my eyes. If it's in good shape. If it was near me it would be mine.

It’s a drive but, for $800 I almost have to do it. I traded a Kawasaki KLT 110 3 wheeler for the Avalon. I get lucky on this stuff.

Around 2100 square ft. I’ve done it on a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 but really had to put the wood to it.
I am just shy of 2000 sq. ft. and run a Princess Ultra...during the early January arctic cold snap we had single digit temps and -30 windchill mornings...I was able to keep this place in the mid to upper 70s easily..I ran the stove hard during this time frame but my burn times were still much better than any non cat I have ran...my place is pretty leaky...new windows and door are in order this spring. This is going to make a huge difference.

If the stove is in good shape that could work out pretty nicely, especially if the cat is still good. You should be able to get a fair price for the Olympic so this could end up an even swap financially.

Reactions: lsucet
You're going to want the blowers!

Hopefully the blowers are already mounted. Bkvp is spot on.