Gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
I bought some 3/8 gaskets for the damper on my VC WWL, and its actually nearly 1/2" diameter, unless I stretch it out. Did I get the wrong size or what? Are gaskets meant to be stretched out at all when installed, or are they normally oversized? They are graphetized glass fiber.

One more thing is the old gasket is hardened and stiff, but only actually 1/4" diameter.

Any help appreciated.

Dean

The door gasket for the winter warm should be over sized to compensate for poor design and then adjust the door latch if 1/2" is in the manual then 5/8 to 3/4.. I would purchase
do not streach the gasket when th it settles you will have a gap. The drying process of the cement shrinks

Old hard gaskets is an indication the the heat did a number to them. Sounds like your stove was overfired and actually melted the gaskets stiff

elkimmeg said:
The door gasket for the winter warm should be over sized to compensate for poor design

Ok thanks for the heads up, I do need to do that gasket too. However, I was asking about the damper gasket, it seems like the channel can no way hold the gasket I bought although the manual and the shop both insist its the right size.

Looks like a pita to get to it, too. Tips welcomed!

DeanB

Status
Not open for further replies.