Gas leaking from Husqvarna 455 Rancher.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Help! The saw has been pretty reliable for several years (other than the leaky oil tank in storage).

It's gotten much harder to start recently, and then this morning, I fueled it up, and by the time I got the screw cap back on and turned it upright, half the gas was soaked into the stump I was resting it on. I ran the rest out of the tank cutting wood, then made the mistake of trying again, to eliminate the chance that it was a fluke, and I hadn't lost my mind and just missed on the first fill this morning. Nope. And couldn't get it started again.

When it's upright, it leaks gas, but more slowly than when it's on its side.

I'm hoping this is just a fuel line issue that is an easy fix, but perhaps the tank is broken. I've never dropped the saw.

Could someone with this experience help me out, please?

Thanks!

Not sure what the tanks are like on the 455 but I had some major fuel leaks on my 365 Special and it ended up being a crack in the fuel tank.

Update- Spent some time with Google and YouTube, and got a couple of ideas. Took the cover off, and found that the line from the tank to the purge bulb was rotted out where it entered the tank, and the end of the line was just I assume this is the issue, and just requires a new line.

Reactions: Zack R
Update#2:

Stopped by the local auto part stores. At stop#3, NAPA, they had rolls of bulk fuel line. Went with one foot of 3/16 od x 1/8 id Stens Tygon tube, $.99 plus tax.

The install only required a bit under 7", but the extra length made it much easier to install, and I just cut off the extra 5" before pushing the end of to the purge bulb barb. It was a little smaller than the original, which measures 5 mm od with my caliper, and I believe the Husqvarna OEM is 5mm x 3mm. This made it easier to thread through the tank grommet, but it's hopefully still tight enough to do the job.

We'll see tomorrow afternoon...

Reactions: Todd67
Glad it was an easy fix. Hope it works out for you.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Update #3:
This was a complete success.

The NAPA hose for $.99/foot fixed the issue, and starting out with a 12" made the installation a snap. And way cheaper and more convenient than OEM.

Ran through two tanks of gas this morning, and each tank lasted much longer than they have lasted recently, which tells me that this was a progressive issue, and the hose was probably cracked before it broke completely off.

The saw ran like a dream, an I got a ton of work done. I'm thrilled with the outcome