Gas fired wood fireplace - why don’t I see many?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
Went to a restaurant today and sat next to a nice fireplace. I could see ashes and wood sitting on a great and it looked like a nice all wood fire. After watching it for a while, I though it was strange that the flame was still the same! So I had Togo in for a close look and saw a heavy metal rod under the wood grate coming in through the masonry providing the fire and the fire ports were on the bottom so the wood ash would not fall thru the grate and clog them up! I have never seen wood and gas together like this. I know being an open fireplace it is not very efficient. Is there any other draw backs to this setup?
It is very pretty.
Seee Pics

Attachments

• Gas fired wood fireplace - why don’t I see many?
    0FAC4807-1728-417A-ADBD-8D02249DEF0E.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 160
    5CC0F632-ED63-442E-821A-0B1AC652076D.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 187
Looks just like a log lighter to me. They are meant to just be used to light the wood.

We install dozens and dozens of log lighters. It’s very common in a masonry fireplace. Restaurants will often leave them run for a couple of reasons: it’s pretty, the wood isn’t very seasoned, the extra heat from the gas helps keep the draft going up. Downdrafts are very common in restaurants because of the kitchen exhaust fans.

Attachments

11FA0DAA-CF32-446C-9F6C-60B7A6FBF2F6.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 90