Galvanized Pipe in Brick Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is the second time I have come across a galvanized pipe inserted into old brick chimney. Home is approximately 100 years old.
Does anyone know the purpose of this pipe?

Regards Roger
Galvanized Pipe in Brick Chimney

Appears to be a home-brewed hack of some sort. I too am curious about what is on the other end.

It's probably a camera illusion but that chimney looks very odd. It doesn't look like it has any depth and like it has a 2x4 on the side.

Re: optics: It is half inside and half outside; the wall "cuts" it in half

Re: optics: It is half inside and half outside; the wall "cuts" it in half
I was thinking that but the side looks odd. Certainly no clearance to combustibles here.

Reactions: stoveliker
Old days people used to put their plumbing vents into the chimney.

Looks like the place was sort of cobbled together. Note the stud spacing on the wall.

Old days people used to put their plumbing vents into the chimney.
Also I wonder if it could be a vent for an old gas furnace?
Is that pipe something that would need to be removed before closing on a house?
"Looks like the place was sort of cobbled together. Note the stud spacing on the wall."-
I've seen studs spaced that far apart for the gables since they do not carry a load, they are just holding the siding.

Is that pipe something that would need to be removed before closing on a house?
Nothing needs to be changed before closing on a house. As a buyer it is something you would want to know about since the chimney is probably not usable with the pipe there like that.

Just follow the pipe back to where it starts that should give you an idea. I have seen plumbing vents kitchen vents etc and just about anything else you can think of vented into chimneys. Occasionally ones that are still in use.