Furnace replacement, any good options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Free* Heat

Sep 10, 2019
CT
I have a 1980's Seville furnace (which seems to be similar to Ashley or Jensen) I need to replace. It was running a single 12" duct from its location in the basement to a register in the floor above which is centrally located and right next to the open stairwell. This heated the first floor very well and the second floor "too well" (total about 1450 sf). Based on seeing many recommendations, I thought I could get a Drolet Tundra 2, but after talking to their rep and looking through the installation guide I cannot modify the plenum to use it with my ducting setup. Budget really is not going to allow a $3K furnace (Kuuma or Caddy), and not seeing anyone local who knows anything about warm air furnaces.

I thought I could get a Drolet Tundra 2, but after talking to their rep and looking through the installation guide I cannot modify the plenum to use it with my ducting setup.
Why not? They say they wont allow it? Duct not big enough I'd guess...could you hook up your duct, plus leave 1 or 2 of the 6" holes open to the basement, so to meet their minimum sq inches requirement?
12" round = 113 sq in
6" round = 28.26 sq in each
so your 12" + (2) 6" left open equals 169.56 sq in. I'd think that would be close enough for their 170 sq in minimum (at least I think its 170)

Reactions: Highbeam
Maybe you have a really low ceiling above the furnace? The kuuma furnace is 5-6k$ not 3!