Full Liner installed - Review...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK-1

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2006
Two years ago when I purchased the direct connect for my PE Summit, I knew down the line I would eventually buy a full liner. The game plan was as follows...

Friday
Bought liner insulation and high temp. caulk from local shop..

Saturday...

Liner and top plate arrives from RockFord
That evening, liner was pulled straight and insulation/mesh installed
Stove pulled out, direct connect removed and cleaned
Direct Connect attached to liner using round/oval adapter and screws. Joints sealed

Sunday (Liner install time)

Round/Oval adater that attaches to stove removed from direct connect, so it would fit thru the damper opening during liner install
Rope tied to direct connect/full-liner
Two guys on 35+ roof which include myself pulling it up to the chimney
We feed it down the chimney.
I go inside to pull it thru the damper opening and un-tie rope
Reattach adapter to direct connect and re-installed block-off plate
Push stove back in and re-attach pipe...
My buddy on the roof cuts off liner access and insulation and seals top plate and re-install rain cap...

Install finished...Beer break...

Review...

Lite up the stove later that night since it around 48 degrees. Damper fully open and using 1 firebrick it lit pretty good. Used some bark and small splits. Noticed the insert gets hot faster and heats the house faster as well. I thought my wife had turned the heat on at one point. Added the second and last load of wood for the night. Wood lights up quick when put in stove. Fire is blazing... so I damper down mid way. After 30min, fire is blazing again and the reading on the heat gauge is almost at the over-fire range. I damper ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.. the way down.. After 5min, gauge is in the over-fire range just a little around 600 degrees.. No glowing stove or pipe at this point. After 20min, the stove temp is back down to around 500+. The stove has never been this hot before. I must have some over draft, since I can still see the fire dance a lil while the damper is all the way down....

Overall, I like the outcome and performance of stove since the full-liner install.... Stove runs hotter and longer.

I couldn't agree more.

After I retired the Hearthstone II and it's direct connect, I installed the Hampton and a fully insulated liner.

And (A Block off plate for those reading) :zip:

I couldn't believe the draft I now get. I will always recommend not only a liner, but an insulated liner, even in an existing chimney.

Shop-Dog said:
I couldn't agree more.

After I retired the Hearthstone II and it's direct connect, I installed the Hampton and a fully insulated liner.

I couldn't believe the draft I now get. I will always recommend not only a liner, but an insulated liner, even in an existing chimney.

Its almost like awakening a sleeping dragon. I should have lined that sucker last year..

CK-1 said:
Shop-Dog said:
I couldn't agree more.

Its almost like awakening a sleeping dragon. I should have lined that sucker last year..

Another reason to use an insulated liner: a chimney fire will most likely never burn your house down...........1/2" insulation on a liner gives it a 2100F rating against multiple chimney fires and with the insulation, the chance of a fire burning through the liner and then burning through the insulation and then burning through your clay tile or whatever is there is nil......allows me to sleep well at night with a fire burning.......CHEAP peace of mind at about the $250 I paid for 25 ft of 1/2" insulation......

what was the total cost of the liner and stuff??

This is a great post!

Many of the posts here start with a problem, frequently draft and quickly follow the try this, try that format. It's great to have both a problem, however minor, the solution and some feedback re the difference it made.

Stevebass4 said:

RockFord Liner 6X35.. $460.00 - Current Price..
Olympia Liner Insulation... $335.00 - from Local Shop (expensive place if you ask me)
100ft Rope from Lowes - $23

senorFrog said:
This is a great post!

Many of the posts here start with a problem, frequently draft and quickly follow the try this, try that format. It's great to have both a problem, however minor, the solution and some feedback re the difference it made.

I wanted to take pictures.. but didn't have time since we wanted to get done before the football games came on..lol..

Overall, things went pretty smooth. Still can't believe I climbed on my 40+ foot roof and I'm still here to tell about it..

CK-1 said:
Stevebass4 said:

Olympia Liner Insulation... $335.00 - from Local Shop (expensive place if you ask me)
Ck-1 rockford sells olympia products you should have gotten on the horn
with them about your 35ft run.

CK-1 said:
I must have some over draft, since I can still see the fire dance a lil while the damper is all the way down....

The EBT is going to keep it from starving the air completely. When you damp all the way down the EBT thermostat is going to allow enough flames to maintain a good combustion temperature.

Lil fire dancing=Good Thing
No fire dancing=Bad Thing

600 won't overfire that Summit. Hell I run mine at 600 all winter long. When I had door adjustment problems, It would peg the thermo at 800.
Still no glowing. I wouldn't recommend doing 800 all the time. Mine loves to run the 500-600 range. Usually closer to 600 is the sweet spot for my beast.

Stevebass4 said:
SB4 look at chimneylinerinc.com/ for cost.

budman said:
CK-1 said:
Stevebass4 said:

Ck-1 rockford sells olympia products you should have gotten on the horn
with them about your 35ft run.

The local shop tried to push "their" liner on me as well. I told them, it was a 316Ti flex liner and they replied.. what does 316Ti mean?.... :bug:

Hogwildz said:
600 won't overfire that Summit. Hell I run mine at 600 all winter long. When I had door adjustment problems, It would peg the thermo at 800.
Still no glowing. I wouldn't recommend doing 800 all the time. Mine loves to run the 500-600 range. Usually closer to 600 is the sweet spot for my beast.

Cool.. my Summit never ran that hot before and the heat reading kept going up gradually until I dampered all the way down for the rest of the burn. I've also seen your posts about the door adjustment as well. If adjustments are needed to the door, how is it done?..

Hogwildz said:

Didn't you have a warped baffle you had to fix? Or was that someone else?

CK-1 said:
Two years ago when I purchased the direct connect for my PE Summit, I knew down the line I would eventually buy a full liner. The game plan was as follows...

Friday
Bought liner insulation and high temp. caulk from local shop..

Saturday...

Liner and top plate arrives from RockFord
That evening, liner was pulled straight and insulation/mesh installed
Stove pulled out, direct connect removed and cleaned
Direct Connect attached to liner using round/oval adapter and screws. Joints sealed

Sunday (Liner install time)

Round/Oval adater that attaches to stove removed from direct connect, so it would fit thru the damper opening during liner install
Rope tied to direct connect/full-liner
Two guys on 35+ roof which include myself pulling it up to the chimney
We feed it down the chimney.
I go inside to pull it thru the damper opening and un-tie rope
Reattach adapter to direct connect and re-installed block-off plate
Push stove back in and re-attach pipe...
My buddy on the roof cuts off liner access and insulation and seals top plate and re-install rain cap...

Install finished...Beer break...

Review...

Lite up the stove later that night since it around 48 degrees. Damper fully open and using 1 firebrick it lit pretty good. Used some bark and small splits. Noticed the insert gets hot faster and heats the house faster as well. I thought my wife had turned the heat on at one point. Added the second and last load of wood for the night. Wood lights up quick when put in stove. Fire is blazing... so I damper down mid way. After 30min, fire is blazing again and the reading on the heat gauge is almost at the over-fire range. I damper ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.. the way down.. After 5min, gauge is in the over-fire range just a little around 600 degrees.. No glowing stove or pipe at this point. After 20min, the stove temp is back down to around 500+. The stove has never been this hot before. I must have some over draft, since I can still see the fire dance a lil while the damper is all the way down....

Overall, I like the outcome and performance of stove since the full-liner install.... Stove runs hotter and longer.

What kind of block off plate did you reinstalle? Can this plate be purchesed on line?

alfski

alfski said:
What kind of block off plate did you reinstalle? Can this plate be purchesed on line?
alfski

Alfski, Blockoff plates are pretty much all custom made to fit the particular installation - see the Wiki for an article that describes making one, and you will see that it can be a PITA, but isn't a big deal. All you need is a hunk of sheet metal that is readily available from local sources, and a means to cut it.

No need to purchase online.

Gooserider

CK-1 said:
Hogwildz said:

Cool.. my Summit never ran that hot before and the heat reading kept going up gradually until I dampered all the way down for the rest of the burn. I've also seen your posts about the door adjustment as well. If adjustments are needed to the door, how is it done?..

To adjust Summit door, just tap the latch tab in a lil at a time till the seal passes the dollar bill test.

Todd said:
Hogwildz said:

Didn't you have a warped baffle you had to fix? Or was that someone else?
Baffle is ok, there is a ceramic blanket the sits on top of baffle, then another sheet of s.s. over top the blanket. More to protect the blanket I suppose. That had a small bow, which I straightened by hand when I pulled the baffle & shield out for cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.