Fresh Air Intake Register w Airtight Damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Drew777

Dec 7, 2023
Northeast, PA
Getting an Osburn Stratford II for a customer and they offer this fresh air intake control that gets mounted on the wall like a switch. What's the benefit of this if the fireplace has its own control? Was thinking maybe because you can close it off entirely in the off-season?

Getting an Osburn Stratford II for a customer and they offer this fresh air intake control that gets mounted on the wall like a switch. What's the benefit of this if the fireplace has its own control? Was thinking maybe because you can close it off entirely in the off-season?
Reducing drafts when not in use

Could also do this manually, it's just one more thing to break over time. If installed, be sure to build in an access panel.

...aka job security for Drew...

Ok yea was guessing it's just like an on/off sort of thing, they won't need that. I've been insulating my intake ducts lately to keep any cold infiltration out of my chase cavities. If a little bit of air runs thru the unit when not in use from the control on the unit not closing off entirely, that's fine. It's a sealed unit the air will just run out the flue.

I've seen folks add valves to the air intake to offer more control than the stove's air intake slider would offer. The EPA of course doesn't let you shut off the air to the stove with the normal stove control so this valve on the OAK, if that's the only air supply, could give the operator back control. Also nice if there was a chimney fire. I would want a valve that wasn't fully open or fully closed but allowed partial opening for use during a fire that is just too hot.