Fresh air intake grate recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cjgoode

Aug 30, 2016
Sylva Nc
I am going to run a fresh air intake to the bottom of my stove. 6 inch flue, is a 4 inch fresh air supply enough. Its an osburn 2200 and the intake is on the bottom. So all I have to do is sit the stove on top of the intake grate I will build into the hearth. But the intake through the house wall, what I can use on the outside.

I want a strong metal grate to keep the animals out, and a way to really close it when we leave, we have a serious problems with critters trying to break into our house when we leave. Any suggestions on where to shop for one. I do not want the plastic ones everyone seems to sell. Antiquey and ornate would be real nice.

Yeah, that is my fall back plan, welded chicken wire inside it and a latch on the flapper so I can latch it closed when not in use and latch it open when I do use it. Hoping something already made like that maybe better looking because of its location. So many of these designed for fans venting out, not for air being sucked in. Maybe I will get out the spare metal and a welder and just make my own.