Fresh Air Inlet Icing up on outside of pipe inside my house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heymax

Jan 1, 2018
Berwick, Maine
I live in Maine and for the past week it has been below zero at night with the wind chill. I noticed that my 2 inch flexible metal pipe that I use for my Fresh Air Inlet is frosting up between my wall and the stove. Similar to a green can of propane frosting up on a gas stove. Have any of you experienced this with your Fresh Air inlet pipe during extreme cold weather.

Mine will frost, also. I put a cloth under it so the water, when it melts, doesn't run on the floor. No harm otherwise, as the inside of the hose doesn't ice up, since it's only dry exterior air there.

You can wrap it with insulation to eliminate the sweating.

Mine does that,which is why I took a woodshop vacuum system T,flip the lever and use inside air,for a bit,then open back up.

Mine will frost, also. I put a cloth under it so the water, when it melts, doesn't run on the floor. No harm otherwise, as the inside of the hose doesn't ice up, since it's only dry exterior air there.

Mine did Saturday night as it was the coldest night so far this season. And any other time it gets considerably below zero. I do the same, keep an old towel under it so it doesn't pool up on my wood floor.

I set up a fan blowing air behind my stove, problem solved.