freight train sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tradermanhomer

Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2010
bessemer,pa
what does it mean when your stove starts to sound like a freight train,,i turn down the draft and try to slow it down when i here it start sounding like that ,,,but what is going on,is it getting to high of a flame

That could be a chimney fire. Is this happening right now? Is the Modi-Fyre still on the stove pipe?

i keep my chimney clean ,,i clean it every month,,thats what i all ways thought but i dont know,,,,its clean and not on fire,,but when it starts to do this i try to slow fire and it works

If the chimney gases are too cool, creosote can start accumulating right away. You can have enough accumulation for a fire in a week if the flue is cool and the wood is poorly seasoned.

Is the Modi-Fyre still on the flue pipe? If yes, it may be contributing to cooling the flue gases.

yes it is still on there,,i have turned down all the way,,,i really dont use it,,i have it like it is closed all the time ,,,and thinking on taking it out this summer and just put in a straight pipe

Good plan.

my wood is hardwood but not verywell seasoned,and i use some hardwood slab ,thats lightly seasoned ,,next year it would be good to burn,,,im new at this ,,,and my first stove,,,only smoked out the house a couple of times

tradermanhomer said:
what does it mean when your stove starts to sound like a freight train,,i turn down the draft and try to slow it down when i here it start sounding like that ,,,but what is going on,is it getting to high of a flame

a) you may be having a chimney fire
b) your stove may be having an identity crisis and wish it was a locomotive
c) your stove may be the reincarnated Pacific Express

If I open the ash door for some reason and leave it open for a short time it starts sounding like a helicopter over my house. It will suck the curtains off the windows. :zip:

Status
Not open for further replies.