Freestanding wood stove, fresh air supplied. Block when not used?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joea

Nov 20, 2021
NY
I have a free standing wood stove that I added fresh air intake to. I found that helpful to the overall experience.

However, I now find it desirable to block the outside supply in the off season. I suppose I should have thought of that before, but, oh well.

Looking for a reliable and cost effective way to seal that off by inserting something in the 4" duct path on the house interior. Did some searching but most stuff seems to be a bit bulky, cumbersome, expensive. WAY overkill.

Seems something as simple as a "sliding gate" that could sit up against or close to the exterior wall would fit the bill. But, so far, not finding anything.

Surely this is a common need. ?

I have a free standing wood stove that I added fresh air intake to. I found that helpful to the overall experience.

However, I now find it desirable to block the outside supply in the off season. I suppose I should have thought of that before, but, oh well.

Looking for a reliable and cost effective way to seal that off by inserting something in the 4" duct path on the house interior. Did some searching but most stuff seems to be a bit bulky, cumbersome, expensive. WAY overkill.

Seems something as simple as a "sliding gate" that could sit up against or close to the exterior wall would fit the bill. But, so far, not finding anything.

Surely this is a common need. ?

Aha, it looks like a 4 inch "blast gate" comes close to what I envisioned.

A ball of aluminum foil...?

Just put a note in the stove to take it out before lighting it... Lighting will go fine (door open) but once you close the door you'll smother it....

Reactions: EbS-P
A ball of aluminum foil...?
That requires I disconnect the inlet duct each time, or at least seasonally.

This is what I'm going to try:

Freestanding wood stove, fresh air supplied.  Block when not used?

Just put a note in the stove to take it out before lighting it... Lighting will go fine (door open) but once you close the door you'll smother it....
^^^This was getting grouchy that my fist fire of the season wasn’t taking of. Then after the third time I closed the door and snuffed it out I remembered the tape!

Adding the not this year.

That requires I disconnect the inlet duct each time, or at least seasonally.
Not if you insert it on the outside termination of the duct?