Freestanding gas stove conversion to electric?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

REF1

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2009
South West, VA
My mom had a Regency gas log stove. I've been moving this around for years now after she passed away. She paid $2400 for it. We don't want to install gas to use it but, was wondering if anyone has ever taken out the gas logs, etc., and installed an electric log heating unit. We wouldn't mind parking it in a corner to watch and retrieve whatever heat can collect inside the box and radiate or move with the stoves blower; if it can be done.

Doable?

Interesting idea...
It can PROBABLY be done. Don't know of anyone who has done it, tho.
You don't say which model Regency stove you've got, but all the ones I've
serviced were KICK-ASS heating units & have lasted for years.
I think I'd sell it & buy a nice looking electric unit with the money...

I have tried to sell it three times, at least. It's on Craig's list right now for $150. No takers. Mom's is a nice unit. Brass fittings. She had a smaller home (1400') and the stove took care of it well when she used it. The stove is pretty much on the new side, too. She remarried, moved to his place, and the house sat until I renovated and sold it. When we moved in it we used an Elm wood stove that sold with the house. So, the Regency has been wrapped up, and moved too many times now. In Texas, currently, and I guess not many people use these types of heaters here.

Anyway, if I can sell it, I will. This was just an optional idea if we end up having to keep it.