Free Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dfw245

Jan 28, 2022
Dallas
Just a quick post, got an offer from a guy. He wants it gone but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of splitting and what not. I think it'll be good practice in splitting and stacking. But if I won't actually use it, then... Here's the sole pic he has of it. If I can use it in my smoker I'll snag it.

Free Wood ID

Kind of hard to tell by the pic but hack berry maybe. If so not very good firewood I would think but I've never burned any either. Free wood is free wood though so there is that.

Edit: I looked up hackberry btu and it was around 20 so actually not too bad......if that's what it is lol.

Speaking of free Wood. I'm at a spot right now where the guy needs it all gone. He says he thinks it's pecan and oak but there's no way for me to tell what these are. Two different types

Free Wood ID Free Wood ID

First photo is hackberry. Not sure of 2nd and 3rd.

Reactions: Dfw245
Both look like good wood. And the quality/price ratio is fantastic. Free BTUs. Take it. The second and third wood seems like hardwood. The first is not bad but could always be shoulder season wood.

Take it...

Alright. So hackberry for the first photo and the second is for sure pecan. Lots of pecans on the ground around it. 3rd photo is still unknown. But I'll grab a few rounds I suppose

Alright. So hackberry for the first photo and the second is for sure pecan. Lots of pecans on the ground around it. 3rd photo is still unknown. But I'll grab a few rounds I suppose
3rd picture is Oak..

Also forgot to mention, the other wood that isn't pecan, it smells terrible. Smells like manure or something. I almost thought the wood was bad. Definitely gave me farm house or ranch vibes. Idk if that smell gives anything away lol

Also, as far as buying wood rounds, found another guy selling for what seems like a dream(yes I'm on the wood hunt for next year). Huge rounds for only $6 a piece. However the color is VERY black. Like, black black. Doesn't look loose or punky or anything but the color kinda tipped me off a little. Is that normal? He says it's oak and it's just incredibly black. I've seen dark seasoned oak before, this is twice as dark. Should I steer clear? Or is it just that seasoned? BTW, thanks for ALL the helpful tips, hints, and things of that nature. I'm really trying to learn as much as I can from you guys so I bother you less lol

the first set of pics ya posted are def hackberry its about the only 1 i can think of with them warts on it ..... 2nd puc no clue and 3rd puc is definitely somethin of the white oak family

the first set of pics ya posted are def hackberry its about the only 1 i can think of with them warts on it ..... 2nd puc no clue and 3rd puc is definitely somethin of the white oak family
2nd is pecan. And that's another vote for oak. But white oak family huh? Interesting. How so?

Black rounds mean they have been sitting without protection from rain. They may be fine, but I would buy one, split it, see how it's on the inside before you buy more.

Black on the cut ends can just be a normal sign of weathering. If the wood looks almost charred, though, as if it’s been through a fire, that’s more likely a sign of hypoxylon canker. We had a red oak tree on our property that was nearly dead when we moved in (reportedly from a severe drought back in 2011). The canker can affect stressed trees, and it eventually kills them (that tree finally gave up the ghost last year), but we were told we didn’t need to take any preventive measures to protect our other trees since it was already present.

Black on the cut ends can just be a normal sign of weathering. If the wood looks almost charred, though, as if it’s been through a fire, that’s more likely a sign of hypoxylon canker. We had a red oak tree on our property that was nearly dead when we moved in (reportedly from a severe drought back in 2011). The canker can affect stressed trees, and it eventually kills them (that tree finally gave up the ghost last year), but we were told we didn’t need to take any preventive measures to protect our other trees since it was already present.

Now that's concerning. Maybe it'll be easier if I just posted a pic of it. Tell me what you guys think..

Free Wood ID Free Wood ID

And if anyone has any idea about the 3rd original photo and what type of oak that may be, please let me know. Just trying to get an idea so I don't mix oaks when it comes to cooking

Those rounds don't look too bad. If the cut ends are black (and don't have the disease noted above, about which I don't know anything), they have been sitting exposed. My wood (oak) that doesn't see rain does not get black. Wood of which the cut ends do see rain (still being top covered) does get black.

Those rounds have been sitting in the elements for a while but from the pics they don't look all that punky. I.e. good BTUs to be had.

Split one, see the quality, negotiate...

Those rounds don't look too bad. If the cut ends are black (and don't have the disease noted above, about which I don't know anything), they have been sitting exposed. My wood (oak) that doesn't see rain does not get black. Wood of which the cut ends do see rain (still being top covered) does get black.

Those rounds have been sitting in the elements for a while but from the pics they don't look all that punky. I.e. good BTUs to be had.

Split one, see the quality, negotiate...
Well yes, BTUs but in this case I'm shooting more for flavor. Then again, I do have some red oak laying around so I could always throw this in as firewood. I think I'll pick up some of those pieces and the hackberry also. For firewood

Reactions: stoveliker
3rd pic looks like walnut kinda except the bark looks like a red oak. Walnut does stink in my opinion. Not sure what is for certain.

Thanks for the picture. That just looks like weathering to me, not hypoxylon. Just be aware that oak rounds that size are probably still wet even in Texas. I’m always blown away by how quickly my oak seasons down here, but I’m not usually dealing with large rounds, just branch wood trimmings for the most part. Even oak should probably dry out for next winter if it’s processed before summer, though, and the splits are stacked off the ground and possibly top covered. It dries for me well here, but I think I’m in a more arid part of the state.

3rd pic looks like walnut kinda except the bark looks like a red oak. Walnut does stink in my opinion. Not sure what is for certain.
Bark looks like a red oak? I feel like I've seen someone say that oak stinks when split/cut when still green. Idk how true that is. But this stuff truly stinks. Like, my goodness. I'm convinced it spent time as pig pen decor lol but in all seriousness, I wonder if it's oak. There were no walnuts on the ground of any sort, just the cuts. And a huge huge part of the tree. I'll be going back to pick up some more pecan since that's gold down here. $450 for a face cord 😬😬. If I can figure out what type of oak that is...I'll grab some.

Also, thanks for confirmation on it not being a disease. I think I'll grab a couple of those cuts also. I'm really loading up, trying to do my best anyway. Really need an idea of what type of oak it is. Also, I'll be trying to split them this coming week for the first time so wish me luck lol

Most folks will probably tell you that red oak stinks when green split.....I personally love the smell of it....... but I will agree it is unique lol. White oak smells like vanilla though and I think most folks would probably agree on that as well. Red oak is easy to split and white oak is harder.

$450 a face cord? whoo might have to load up the crv in NJ and take a ride to ta hass.

Reactions: stoveliker
$450 a face cord? whoo might have to load up the crv in NJ and take a ride to ta hass.
Yeah it's pretty bad. Not to say someone's buying it, but I see it listed all the time. It's ridiculous honestly. I do see a few of the REAL cords listed but mostly no