FPX large hybrid insert - reviews?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
I have one. I am mostly happy. They had to replace the combustor last year. It gives off decent heat. But, I wish I had a set up where a free standing stove would look nice, but I don't. I just don't think it can compete with something that extends into the room and it sure as hell does not burn for 12 hours. Much less, like 6-8 at most. The other issue is that I am trying to heat 4000sqft with it. I also have 9ft ceilings and I think all of that is resulting in a less than impressed experience.
Anybody else have thoughts on this unit? Was there a better flush choice that had more power? Thanks.

I don't know that insert, but even the biggest inserts out there would struggle with 4000sf of tall ceilings. Being flush is another handicap as you pretty much just have the glass and the blower to get heat out into the room.

Consider it supplemental heat, and maybe consider putting a large freestanding stove on the other side of the house.

I have one and don't see how you can heat 4000 sq ft in cold stretch of weather we just had. I heat 2000 sq ft fairly easy. I don't think any insert will do this. May be biggest Kuuma or Buck , they all require 8 inch liner and protruding into the room. Basically it's freestanding unit shoved in fireplace. You got best flush insert for your needs. May be get another stove. But its a pain to handle 2 stoves. Even freestanding Blaze king rated for about 3000 sq ft

Yes you are asking a lot from your stove. I have insert rated for 2000sf and when the temps dipped into single disgits and below I had real tough time heating up my 1200 sf raised ranch. Hard I mean most of the house would be 70-72 and bedrooms 66. All that burning 3.5 year old oak and reloading every 4-6 hours. On the other hand when the temps are in the 30 I can load my stove twice a day and keep it in high to mid 70

Wood heat is a space heater. You can't get it to spread out like you can a central force air system. Unless you go with a wood furnace that's ducted into the existing you'll have a hard time getting an insert to evenly heat that large of a home. 9ft ceilings to me is the norm for ceiling height nowadays. I have good luck with ceiling fan on reverse (winter mode) on high in stove room and then a box fan pulling cold air into stove room on low. Helps circulate heat best in my home which is not very open.

You may also look into a electric space heater on the far side of house to help even it out.

I also run my force air furnace on fan on mode every other hour and even "bump" it 2 degrees every 4th or 5th hour to help spread the heat around and avoid cold spells in far reaches of the home then turn it back to the normal setting relying on the wood insert for heat only. My home is 3,000sqft and I'm using a smaller insert - itentical to prezes13.

Finally, having an insulated block off plate above the insert and the chimney cavity helps hold that insert heat in the home's envelope instead of alot of it going up the chimney.