FPX flush insert finally working like it should, but 1 new question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Carlv123

Feb 17, 2015
Asheville nc
For 2 years I've had nothing but issues. 4 -6 hour burns times, cracked cat... you name it. I decided to start from scratch and have someone redo the original installers work. I resealed the liner where it meets the insert and installed a vacustack. Only thing I noticed is the temp really climbs(1380) when the air is cut off all the way. Is that normal?

Like you, I'm wondering if this is normal as well. I've only gotten a couple of responses to a question I posted about this. I had a new FPX flush installed last month and just fired it up this past weekend. I too, got up to about 1200 with little effort. I'd like to know what constitutes "normal" with this unit. My dealer said I should safely be able to fire this thing at 1400, but I find the idea of that a little unsettling. Following your thread to see if anyone responds...

I'll try to call Travis Industries today. If I get an answer, I'll let you know.
I spoke to my dealer over the phone 2 days ago and they called up Travis as well. You know what my dealer told me Travis had said to them? Same thing that is in the owner's manual - overfiring if it "starts to glow red". They wouldn't give any temperature ranges whatsoever. I can't believe that.

Ok, here’s the deal. That thermometer is monitoring the temperature inside the cat. It has almost nothing to do with the stove temperature. When the cat is new it will reach temps above 1200 pretty easily and not much can be done. Just do your best to keep it under control. Once the cat gets a little time on it, it will settle in and become more predictable. The cat will glow at times, also parts of the baffle will on occasion. That’s all normal. Sounds like your dealers aren’t very qualified...

For 2 years I've had nothing but issues. 4 -6 hour burns times, cracked cat... you name it. I decided to start from scratch and have someone redo the original installers work. I resealed the liner where it meets the insert and installed a vacustack. Only thing I noticed is the temp really climbs(1380) when the air is cut off all the way. Is that normal?
Keep a close eye on that stack, those will clog up very easily if you don’t have really good burning practices, including fantastic wood.
What was the reason for the vacu-stack?

Ok, here’s the deal. That thermometer is monitoring the temperature inside the cat. It has almost nothing to do with the stove temperature. When the cat is new it will reach temps above 1200 pretty easily and not much can be done. Just do your best to keep it under control. Once the cat gets a little time on it, it will settle in and become more predictable. The cat will glow at times, also parts of the baffle will on occasion. That’s all normal. Sounds like your dealers aren’t very qualified...

That's helpful to know webby3650. Thanks!

They already replaced 1 cat for me because it cracked.
Keep a close eye on that stack, those will clog up very easily if you don’t have really good burning practices, including fantastic wood.
What was the reason for the vacu-stack?

I was getting a good burn with the air open all the way but could not close it down without choking the fire. This insert has been a project and then some.

My dealer was the one busted for putting cameras in the bathroom in Black Mountain.

Get an IR thermometer so you can monitor stove temps until you really get to know the stove. Did they tell you the importance of brushing off the face of the cat occasionally? Also, cleaning ash off the glass periodically is important if you want to keep that pretty fire view. They seem to etch pretty easily.

They already replaced 1 cat for me because it cracked.

I was getting a good burn with the air open all the way but could not close it down without choking the fire. This insert has been a project and then some.

My dealer was the one busted for putting cameras in the bathroom in Black Mountain.
A cracked ceramic cat is pretty normal, falling apart is a problem though. Typically, if the fire dies out after the air is reduced, the wood is too wet. Or your chimney height is inadequate, I don’t see how further restricting draft with a vacustack would help your situation? Did it help?

A cracked ceramic cat is pretty normal, falling apart is a problem though. Typically, if the fire dies out after the air is reduced, the wood is too wet. Or your chimney height is inadequate, I don’t see how further restricting draft with a vacustack would help your situation? Did it help?

The vacustack helped a lot, it increases draft. We have a 30ft chimney and although it drafted well at fully open, when reduced, it choked out. Combine that with sealing the liner at the stove, burn times are longer and hotter when fully closed.

I'll clarify the situation and then tell you what Travis Ind said. The insert reaches temp quickly and at 1000 deg, I close the air. The flames die down and the "flame dance" starts on the secondary tubes. The flames will die out and ever so often it "puffs" with enough force to rattle the air control knob. This is where the temps will climb to 1300+.

I asked the manufacturer if this is normal and they said it's fine and I have a perfect fire. They even said I may see temps of 1500.

As an informational point, if you want to slow the temp climb down, open the air for 15 seconds. Temp will climb and then close it. The emps will drop to 800-900 and cruise for the night.

I am pretty sure when I spoke with Travis that they suggested 1200 degrees as max. The stove does take some getting used to, but I am happy with it. It needs good dry wood and I have my air at 60-80% closed most of the time, one it is up an running. For over night, it is 80-90% chocked off. I put 5 markings on the air control rod. I have about 32 feet of insulated liner.
BTW, I have been pleased with Travis tech support. My dealer on the other hand.... After the second cat crumbled, he said that I should keep temps below 700 and then he said 900. That is when I realized he didn't have a clue and stopped communicating with him. I speak with Travis direct now and come here for guidance.

Last edited:
I "cruise" at ~650, if it's more than that I worry, as in I can tell the rolling flames are just kinda ominous. I've never measured the cat but will next time I will with the IR gun.

Reactions: LoveToBurnInVa