FPX Catalyst

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pologuy9906

Aug 19, 2013
Connecticut
Hi. Wondering any suggestions on replacement options. Unit installed in 2018. Second time the catalyst fell from its location during operation. Both installed by the dealer. Replaced the first. Haven't called about the second. Very disappointing. I'm in Connecticut and only run it for a few months. When I do its not 24/7.

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• FPX Catalyst
    20201116_175931.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 133
  • FPX Catalyst
    20201116_175956.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 137
  • FPX Catalyst
    20200518_112823.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 127

Cat should not fall out, mine sticks out about 1/2" from frame, with plenty to keep it in place, and flat, not leaning forwards at all. Not sure about what you're burning and habits, but I get 4-5 yrs., out of mine.

Burning cord wood at 15% mc. Seasoned hardwood. Start fires with pieces left over from splitting. I examine the top each time. I operate the unit. Never an over fire. I don't engage the combuster until after the fan has come on and the temp is over 500.

Few more pictures. Te cat looks practically new.

Attachments

• FPX Catalyst
    20201117_061229.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 122
  • FPX Catalyst
    20201117_061557.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 124
  • FPX Catalyst
    20201117_061601.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 134
Cat should not fall out, mine sticks out about 1/2" from frame, with plenty to keep it in place, and flat, not leaning forwards at all. Not sure about what you're burning and habits, but I get 4-5 yrs., out of mine.
Can I see what yours looks like?

Is that a huge crack in the steel housing above the cat? The gasket swells up with heat to pinch the cat in place but if the housing is popped, there will be no pinch.

Does it have an interam gasket surrounding the cat? I am wondering if that was missing.

That is the gasket. Why is the left cat facing down?

I'm wondering if you have a build up of ash behind the cat? Operating the bypass with ash build-up in there could be pushing the cat out

I'm wondering if you have a build up of ash behind the cat? Operating the bypass with ash build-up in there could be pushing the cat out

I'm not running it hard. I have to check how I could get the ash out. I'll try it

Few more pictures. Te cat looks practically new.
I think you said "Te cat looks practically new", but did you mean "THE cat looks new...", if so, um no, not new at all, should not be crumbling apart. See @begreen link for replacements, those are fully intact in a frame. Here's pic from the manual that show's cleaning, but are your installed this way.
FPX Catalyst