FPX 36 elite fire lapping the catalyst question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leiper

Feb 5, 2020
S-KY
Is it normal for the fire to lap toward the front and into the cat on a FPX 36 elite model ? There seems to be no way around it. Will this damage the cat and how do you prevent it or should it not be a concern? Thanks

Is it normal for the fire to lap toward the front and into the cat on a FPX 36 elite model ? There seems to be no way around it. Will this damage the cat and how do you prevent it or should it not be a concern? Thanks
It's been discussed on this forum many times. FPX inserts and fireplaces are known for not having a flame protection shield in front of the catalyst. I have a large hybrid insert and I've put a self-made perforated steel shield in front of my catalyst. I don't see how you can install something like that in your case.
Most people think it's affecting the lifetime of the catalyst. The manufacturer says it doesn't. I think it does, my first catalyst crumbled exactly where flames were hitting the cat. I guess you doomed to replace it every three to two years depending on your burn habits.

Right! I didn’t know if there was some kind of method or bypass adjustment I didn’t know about to avoid it as it is pretty much impossible from my point of view. Unless you put a steel one in.

I had the 44 elite in our old house until we moved 3 months ago... not sure if its the same design to the Cat on the 36 or not. Ours was basically just a honeycomb on top of the firebox that you could divert the smoke/fire through by pushing in the lever/rod. We used it pretty heavily for 8 years an didn't ever see deterioration of the cat. I vacuumed it out (when cool) periodically and pulled it out every once in a while to check it out. It always appeared the same. I didn't buy the unit new (came with the house), so I can't say whether it was the original or not. Maybe it was replaced right before we moved in, but it did well for the 8 years we owned it.

Reactions: Leiper
I had the 44 elite in our old house until we moved 3 months ago... not sure if its the same design to the Cat on the 36 or not. Ours was basically just a honeycomb on top of the firebox that you could divert the smoke/fire through by pushing in the lever/rod. We used it pretty heavily for 8 years an didn't ever see deterioration of the cat. I vacuumed it out (when cool) periodically and pulled it out every once in a while to check it out. It always appeared the same. I didn't buy the unit new (came with the house), so I can't say whether it was the original or not. Maybe it was replaced right before we moved in, but it did well for the 8 years we owned it.
It’s pretty much the same design but bigger firebox. You probably didn’t use it 24/7 if you cat survived 8 years without any changes. The bypass you talking about is only used when getting fire going , when insert is up to workin temperature bypass should be closed and exhaust should go trough the cat. That’s the whole point of catalytic stoves . With open bypass it’s just the waste of wood.
may be you had steel cat , I don’t see myself pulling cat in and out as a routine to check it . It’s in a fragile gasket , petty tight feet, and it’s ceramic.

We definitely did not use it 24/7. It was hard to keep coals through the night on that one. We did engage the cat after it warmed up each time. However, I’m thinking the Cat was not the original. It was not a tight fit at all... in fact it had an inch gap on either side of the housing. It was also metal, not ceramic. Hearing this, it probably wasn’t even intended for that unit!

Yea, it was probably right. On each side of the cat it requires insulation that comes with them usually. I cut mine in half and filled that space on each side. Also ,the cat gasket that wraps around the metal housing that the ceramic or metal is in has mica flecks in it that expands when it heats up, it makes a tight fit then and will retain that tight fit after it cools.

Last edited:
Reactions: webby3650