For all you cook stove nuts!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Visited the Harriet Beecher Stowe house today

For all you cook stove nuts! For all you cook stove nuts! For all you cook stove nuts!

Reactions: thewoodlands
Sweet! That's pretty classy. The upper ovens are unique. Looks like it would be a stretch to reach to top bun warmer ovens without getting burned.

Reactions: clancey
That is a thing of beauty!

Definitely a beautiful piece! I assume it was made to burn coal with the two shaker stubs on the front.

They wouldn’t let me fondle it. I asked for special permission too, lol. I figured it must be coal. I’d never seen one built into a chimney like that.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I read up a bit and found a great article that mentions Gardiner Chilson. Technically, this is a range that has a separate history from cookstoves. Ranges were typically built-in. What we call cookstoves, were at one point called portable ranges. Chilson made the H.B. Stove range. He was proud of his designs and protected them with patents. This is one of his range designs from around 1850. You can see the core resemblance, though the Stove range was fancier.

Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 7.10.32 PM.png

Here's the article on the history of the range. It's a long but good read.

The stove was on an interior wall. I wonder how much heat all that thermal mass put into the house.

A similar, big, beautiful range!

Stoves/ovens are still called ranges, range cookers, or range ovens in the UK, at least when I lived there 15 years ago that was the case.
A similar, big, beautiful range!

You can see the massive range boiler right next to it! In the unlikely event we build another house, it will have an integrated wood/coal burning range, probably not as big as the ones you've posted.

The oven placement is so different from what we usually see in a cookstove, but this thing is so much larger than most other cookers.

I was watching a period piece set in Ireland. I had to hit pause and replay several times to catch more than a glimpse of a facinating stove, now understood to be a range. It had a fire open to the room and an oven on each side. It was pretty interesting to see and read about similar and many other ranges along with the evolution of ranges in earlier America. I definitely couldn’t read every word but enough to imagine what it was like cooking on some of those early and later ranges and get an appreciation of the efforts to design and build some remakable cookers and bakers for the time. It was something to read how hard it was to convince people that cooking meat in an oven was a viable alternative to open fire cooking.

In a somewhat more modern direction , I’ve wondered about the holes and plates in cookstove tops of twentieth century cookstoves. For me the purpose is access to clean soot from the top and side of the oven. I speculated also that the the plate holes and removable connecting pieces might allow the cooktop to expand in smaller and more manageable ways than a large single piece cast top would. Seeing and reading about stew stoves and cooking holes or ”boilers” It is clear that there is a very long tradition of using pots directly on the flame. Could it be these plates and holes in these cookstoves are there in part through tradition?